Volume 1 shift to single drive from Raid 1 issue

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.
sora747
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Volume 1 shift to single drive from Raid 1 issue

Post by sora747 »

Hi There,

My NAS is 604T with latest ADM
:Single Volume setup
:slot 1&2 are in RAID1 2x3TB

I put a new drive (3TB) in slot 3 and used "Create" option to make a single drive, However once finished; Volume 1 that was on RAID1 shifted to this single drive and the RAID1 is now inactive (also not seen via NAS).

Currently I am not be able to access RAID1 and have no idea if my data still contain there or not.
Could you please shade me some light how I can reverse the Volume 1 back to the RAID1 without Data lost? or other solutions if you could point me to.

Cheers
orion

Re: Volume 1 shift to single drive from Raid 1 issue

Post by orion »

Oops, I did not encounter this problem before. I guess your data might still remain the same. However it's better to do nothing and send a support request to asustor. http://support.asustor.com/
sora747

Post by sora747 »

Thanks orion, yes i managed to get tech support that night to restore my data back eventhough my document folder was encrypted so it took time till I gave up to restore it (lucky i have all documents backup on my external drive)

So I am now in process building my NAS from scratch, reminding function of volume 1 and 2.

With AS604T and 4x3tb, I cannot decice to go with Raid-5 or Raid-1 in Volume 1 and 2.

Also i heard about using ssd on volume 1 for less power consumption and less drive spinning. Is that a good ideas?
orion

Post by orion »

If I were you, I'll set SSD as volume-1 (single drive) and create a RAID-5 volume-2 with 3 disks. That way should consume less power and your volume-2 can keep in spin-off state when idle (based on my experiences).

EDIT: Of course, it means that your volume-1 is not protected by RAID. You should not put important data in volume-1.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

orion wrote:....EDIT: Of course, it means that your volume-1 is not protected by RAID. You should not put important data in volume-1.
But.. you HAVE important data in volume1, even without any shared folders on it : installed APPs and their settings, shared folders and their privileges, and maybe ( I'm not sure ) the whole ADM settings...
orion

Post by orion »

sksbir wrote: But.. you HAVE important data in volume1, even without any shared folders on it : installed APPs and their settings, shared folders and their privileges, and maybe ( I'm not sure ) the whole ADM settings...
That's right regarding to installed Apps and their settings. As far as I know, ADM settings should locate on volume-0 which is mirrored protected on every disk (a separated partition on every disk). Of course, if you did a lot of manual editing on App settings, you might wish to protect those settings. In this case, that can be classified as important data. If you simply did GUI setting adjustments for certain Apps, I believe you can restore those settings easily from GUI. That should depend on what you think about importance.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

orion, what about shared folders ?

In case volume1/associated disk crash, once you have recreated volume1 on a new installed disk, what will happen to volume2 volume3... and shared folders installed in this volumes ? They will just appear again, or you have to do something about that ?
orion

Post by orion »

sksbir wrote:orion, what about shared folders ?

In case volume1/associated disk crash, once you have recreated volume1 on a new installed disk, what will happen to volume2 volume3... and shared folders installed in this volumes ? They will just appear again, or you have to do something about that ?
In my case, I only put Download shared folder in volume-1. Others are put onto volume-2. In case that the downloaded movies are gone, I can live with that. I put my precious data on volume-2 which is RAID-5 protected.
sora747

Post by sora747 »

Thanks all for your comments, that make things more clearer.

I am only single user on my NAS atm and mainly using ASUSTOR apps like Surveillance Center. I may opt for SSD and Raid5 in the bay.

with understand i might be able to clone the ssd by backup&restore to external source?
orion

Post by orion »

sora747 wrote:Thanks all for your comments, that make things more clearer.

I am only single user on my NAS atm and mainly using ASUSTOR apps like Surveillance Center. I may opt for SSD and Raid5 in the bay.

with understand i might be able to clone the ssd by backup&restore to external source?
You can backup your shared folder data under volume-1 to external devices or volume-2 (automatically by schedule). However I don't know how to backup those installed applications and application settings.

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”