DO NOT UPDATE TO v.3.0.6020.r1

Bringing all of your media together into one place has never been easier. Your Emby Server automatically converts and streams your media on-the-fly to play on any device.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

geoff511
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

DO NOT UPDATE TO v.3.0.6020.r1

Post by geoff511 »

I would strongly suggest you DO NOT UPDATE to this version if you want to keep your sanity. :!:

This update COMPLETELY and UTTERLY wipes EVERYTHING in your current version - including ALL metadata. :?:
The only thing left is what is in your media folders, but it's metadata and media folders are wiped clean.
Also, if you have Emby connected to Kodi via the pluggin, you may be in for '1 hell of a ride' trying to get these 2 to talk together again. I have re-synced, and have reset database and done a complete rescan and restarted, several times. Yet every time I restart Kodi it wants to re-scan the entire library (which take about 2 hours). :x

There are numerous errors this new version also has, like Emby now runs very VERY slow ...

But here is just 1 odd programming error - When updating metadata via -Edit Info- of say a music artist, you can't just copy-paste the MusicBrainz ID number off the web-site, you need to put something in the spot 1st, then you can right-click to select the spot and paste .. Honestly, who writes crap like this .. :?:

I would dearly love to have a "chat" with the programmers who wrote this update, but I would say they are trying to hide from people like me ...
(Then again 5 yr olds do have trouble facing up to their stupidity :lol: )

PLEASE if you have updated to this version and (of course) are finding errors or something else that is just too stupid for words, please reply, so the 5 yr olds .. umm cough cough ... sorry, the programmers can get it right in the next version .. :D
Last edited by geoff511 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
itdaboyz

Re: DO NOT UPDATE TO v.3.0.6030.r1

Post by itdaboyz »

You should always do a backup before doing an update. It's true for everything.

Now, if you think they are 5 years old kid doing this, why don't you try and do better?

Anyway, I don't have the 3.0.6030.r1 in App Central, the last one for me is 3.0.6020.r1 and I manually installed the 3.1.91 beta without any problems.
geoff511

Re: DO NOT UPDATE TO v.3.0.6020.r1

Post by geoff511 »

Hi,
1) Why is it that Windows Emby updates and no data is changed, yet when Asustor Emby updates ALL the metadata is deleted?
2) How do you backup the metadata in Asustor Emby when it is stored - /volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/mediabrowser/bin/ProgramData-Server/metadata/ ?? What app or program can get to or copy files in that location ?
3) Where do you find a copy of the beta vers. & how do you install them ? When I go to the Emby download web page it just says for Asustor use App. Central.

And the re the stupidity of the programmers, I used to be a programmer many moons ago, and I ALWAYS did proper testing BEFORE letting the program out.
Something you don't know and that is the clowns in Taiwan have used my Asustor (via Teamviewer) last May to try can clean up the mess they made of the last update of ASUSTOR Portal - and they still haven't worked out how
to fix it -- no these programmers need a good boot up the arse for their shoddy workmanship !
itdaboyz

Post by itdaboyz »

1) It's not Asustor the maintener of the app, it's William Lin. Without him, Emby wouldn't even exist on Asustor, so be glad that he's doing it on his free time.
2) You can use the plugin Server Backup Configuration, or manually save the path /volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/mediabrowser/bin/ProgramData-Server/ with a cron job.
3) You should stay with the version in App Central if you don't know how to manually change it to the beta version which could have more bugs.

So, as I said, if you think you are better at porting Emby on ADM than WIllial Lin, then do. We are waiting for your perfects builds.
If you can't, show some respect to the people who use their free time for us.
geoff511

Post by geoff511 »

Re 2) Server Backup doesn't backup Metadata - it only b/ups the configuration. ---
2) OK, so HOW do you manually save from something stored in that location, no Asustor App. can look at, copy from or copy to that location, that I can find. Do you know of one ?
1) Have talked to the Emby Admin, and they didn't know the Asustor updates were wiping everything. It's just the stupidity of the programmers doing the Asustor updates that are causing these problems.

So no I couldn't do better, but I couldn't do much worse than the Asustor R&D mob, who are getting paid to release crap like this.

PS. WHY WHY is this new version so SLOW ???
itdaboyz

Post by itdaboyz »

Can you read what I just wrote ?
Asustor has NOTHING to do with Emby, they did no R&D to port the app. It's a nice developer who's doing it on his free time. So you can't really blame him. Not happy ? Don't use it then.

2) As I said, you can use cron job to manually do it : http://broexperts.com/2012/06/how-to-ba ... cron-jobs/

I have no problem with the new version. Maybe you have a full library scan in background, I don't know.
geoff511

Post by geoff511 »

Thanks for the cron job idea ... can only assume it is done via Putty (as Asustor doesn't have a command line that I can find), but it wants to .tar (compress) them, prob is how to then put them back if need be .. will look into copying without compression or using part of idea or maybe a copy (batch style) command -- now to try and find all the directories that Emby hides the metadata in - so far found 6 main ones.
Re Running very slow - nothing running or scanning etc. in background, my library is approx 12tb in size, but the old version was much faster than this new one. But then again, I only use Emby as a librarian, Kodi has a much better front end (especially the Metropolis skin), so slowness is only affecting the month or so it will take to clean up the mess.
One good thing to come out of the update, was the Pluggin for Emby->Kodi - it is much more stable, can handle data/file changes without dropping the link.
Thanks for all your help.

Return to “Emby”