Homeserver to Asustor

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.
botics
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Homeserver to Asustor

Post by botics »

I am a Windows Home Server User who has thousands of pictures, documents, and other items and have been researching these Asustor units for some time. I have a few questions:

1) Can you copy from one Asustor unit to another; Copy A Server to B Server (both servers being the same Asustor units) - is this automatic or manually?

2) Does your software provide machine backups? I am somewhat confused as I use to Windows Home Server backups - Can I copy and restore an entire machine?

3) When a drive fails - what happens? What do I have to do to rebuild the data so I do not loose any data?

4) What size hard drive bay is recommended for storing documents and pictures yet providing the best method to save my data in case of an issue?

Thank you all!
Allen@AST

Re: Homeserver to Asustor

Post by Allen@AST »

Hi botics,

Welcome to our forum!

1) Yes you can copy from one ASUSTOR unit to another. I'm not quite sure what you mean by automatic and manual.
We basically have two methods for copying data. You can backup your data from server A to server B. Or you can user server B to grab data from server A. Both of these methods can be scheduled to be performed regularly. In this way it would be automatic. I hope this answers your question. If not, please let me know.

2) At this time, our software does not provide machine backups. However, you can still use other software to backup your machines to our devices.

3) It depends on what type of storage volume you are using. If you are using a volume with a RAID level that does not support a faulty disk, (i.e. RAID 0) then your data will be lost. However, if you are using a volume with a RAID level that supports faulty disks, then all you have to do is replace the disk with a new one and our NAS will do the rest. You won't have to do anything to rebuild data. For more information about RAID please see: http://download.asustor.com/college/en/ ... o_RAID.pdf

4) If you want maximum data protection then I would recommend 4 drive bays or above. 4 drive bays is enough to create RAID 6 and RAID 10 volumes which are able to support the loss of 2 faulty disks. These are the top RAID levels that we provide. You could also consider backing up your NAS to another NAS or Server for even further data protection.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Allen

Return to “Presales”