New 8/10 bay models - 61xx/62xx series - ETA ??

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Shawn.S@AST
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: New 8/10 bay models - 61xx/62xx series - ETA ??

Post by Shawn.S@AST »

Hi MDplatts, thanks for the further indication! We are aware of the current UK sluggish status. We are finding more dedicated resources now for sales and channels!
MDPlatts

Post by MDPlatts »

No announcements from CES I see (asustor don't even show up on the CES search page of exhibitors) - shame! shame!
Shawn.S@AST

Post by Shawn.S@AST »

Hi MDPlatts, thanks for the suggestion. We have been in CES in the past 4 years together with Asus in Trump Tower. We may see if it is worthwhile to attend it next year.

For the AS6208T and AS6210T, they are on schedule and should be released by early Q2. Thanks once again for the reminder!
MDPlatts

Post by MDPlatts »

Announced in Q2 means here late june/july - when there are literally no 8 or 10 bay models available in europe. Thats nearly 600 million customers - not able to buy your larger products at all - except for a few EOL 608T's other than very expensive 7000T models.

Poor show.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Do you want to buy an appliance that will still have the same functionality it has now in 5 years? Or do you want to buy something now and have to replace it in 2-3 years because it's not powerful enough to do the job you require of it then?

Here's a look at the Passmark scores for the 6104:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... Hz&id=2541

And the 6204:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... Hz&id=2546

And the 7004T:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... Hz&id=2025

That over-priced 7004T has over 3X more powerin that CPU than the 6204 in the same size box! And over 5X the power of the 6104T. Why do you think there is such a difference in price point? The 6xxx models are basically mobile device CPU's repurposed to a NAS. They aren't true CPU's with the power curves needed for any long term solutions.

Disparage the 700x series as being over-priced all you want. My 7004T cost me $1300US without drives and 16GB of ram. If it lasts me 5 years from purchase, that's well under $300/year. If you bought a 6108 for $1300 on day one, and 3.5 years down the road spend a comparable amount for a replacement due to the first no longer having the power needed to do the job required, your costs are doubled mine. You are going to be upset about that you had to replace the unit because the applications you use require more power than the NAS is able to provide.

You don't want to spend under $1800 for a 7008T NAS and then another $1000 or so to fill it with drives, but are more than happy spending more than that over the long term. Doesn't make sense...

And before you say that the 700x is likely to be underpowered in 5 years, let me remind you of one important factor in all of this... The 700x series of NAS uses a socketed chip. In fact it's the only model of NAS that Asustor makes with a socketed chip. So the odds are EXTREMELY great I will be able to upgrade that CPU to an i7 for under $200 in a 3-4 years and extend it's lifetime by another 3-5 years, just as the QNAP users are doing with some of the i3 models that manufacturer sells.

You won't be doing that with any of the other NAS models Asustor makes, as the other models have CPU's that are all soldered to the MoBo. So when those models start to lose their power curve as the demands increase, I will just throw a bigger and better CPU into mine and still be humming right along. You will be looking at a complete replacement unit. And I know, Asustor doesn't officially support an i7 in the 7004T. QNAP doesn't officially in their TVS-451 either. But people have been doing it for well over a year now, with immediate gains in performance using a chip with more than 2X the computing power over stock in the same small case.

But, you know, I'm not going to change your mind. You have to come to these types of conclusions yourself. What kind of long term reliability are you going to need? What kind of upgrade path are you likely to have to go with? How does the cost/year stack up when factoring in upgrading or replacement? Does the idea of replacing the unit completely seem more in line with your long term cost/benefits or upgrading a CPU as the old one starts becoming the bottleneck.

EDIT: I can't find any passmark scores for the CPU listed in the 10xx models. Seems no one is taking a look at these ARM processors at all. If you bought one of these units, the odds are grat you are going to be as unhappy with it as most people have been with the 20X models.
MDPlatts

Post by MDPlatts »

Thanks for finally releasing them (what took so long) - now we just need someone in Europe to be able to stock any asustor models beyond 2 and 4 bay models.

There is only one unknown eastern european distributor selling a (single) 5110 and nobody else has any stock of anything.
crazynas

Post by crazynas »

Hi MDPlatts,
If Apple not sale iPhone etc... in your country, will you say apple is joke???
Shawn.S@AST

Post by Shawn.S@AST »

Hi MDplatts,

Thanks for the kind reminder!!! We will keep our efforts in making the products and also making them available in UK and other European countries as well. I have to admit that sometimes it is not so easy to convince our distributor partners to stock bigger machines such as 8, 10 bay or rack mount models as the sales quantity is relatively smaller compared to 2 bay and 4 bay. But we will keep on our efforts in providing them more motivations.
MDPlatts

Post by MDPlatts »

Its not that they aren't listed (though its rare compared to the other NAS companies) - they are showing in the listings - not the 62xx yet obviously but the 50xx and 51xx and some 70xx are - but just no stock - and I've never seen any in stock, and on most sites they aren't orderable until there is stock so its not a "ordered on request" situation.

It is a joke that Asustor seem not to have had any decent product sales in Europe for a good 12 months. Perhaps its time for Asus to take the division back under their control (but leave the innovation bits alone) and brand them as Asus - who definitely do have market penetration here - and the distribution network to supply it. This Asustor stuff isn't working.

M.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Dealers aren't going to carry a product if they don't think that product will sell. They are the ones you should be getting after, not the manufacturer. You have to convince the dealer that the model you want will sell, so they will start carrying stock. Until they become convinced, all the efforts by the manufacturer are for naught. Asustor can't "force" a dealer to buy something the dealer might be stuck with if there are no sales of the product. Or the price gets drastically cut and there is no profit in selling the model.

The 61xx and 62xx models have little better than a cell phone CPU in them, and putting 8 or 10 bays into a case with a small processor may not make sense to a lot of people. (It certainly doesn't to me.) Replacing a unit in 2-3 years because the CPU hasn't got enough juice to do the job isn't good business sense, IMO. Buying a unit with enough power to last 3-5 years makes a lot more sense for the bean counters on a corporate level. Or a model that can be upgraded to a much faster, more powerful CPU in 3 years and extend the life another 3-5 years... That means you aren't going to look at a model under the 700x series at all, if that's your plan...

Asustor is relatively new to the market, and the name isn't as well known as Synology or QNAP. Even the sales people might not be aware of the benefits of an Asustor model over the other manufacturer's models. It's hard to upset the "king of the hill" when you are the new kid on the block. And this is the fight Asustor has to deal with in the market place. I had thought the 700x series with the i3 would be a start, especially if it can be user upgraded to an i5 or i7. I'm evidently wrong.... (QNAP is already marketing i5 and i7 models.)

Pick a single dealer and make calls. Make sure that they know you want one, and are willing to pay upfront if needed to get one. That may convince them to carry more. Of course they might get upset with you if yours is the only one they sell...

Return to “Presales”