ownCloud: Trying and Failing

ownCloud gives you universal access to your files through a web interface or WebDAV. It also provides a platform to easily view & sync your contacts, calendars and bookmarks across all your devices and enables basic editing right on the web. Installation has minimal server requirements, does not need special permissions and is quick. ownCloud is extendable via a simple but powerful API for applications and plugins.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Gramotey
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

ownCloud: Trying and Failing

Post by Gramotey »

Dear all,
I am just starting up with ownCloud, and getting absolutely nowhere... I had installed that pretty oneCloud app, forwarded ports 8080, 443, and 6603 to NAS in the router, one-to-one, for now. I click on the pretty ownCloud icon in the ADM, get separate browser window with pink background saying:
404 Not Found
File not found
The same goes for phpMyAdmin.
I am beginning to suspect that PHP is not there. Is there a console in this heap?
ownCloud documentation and online videos are lengthy and glowingly and proportionally un-useful, softly put.
Could use some help, please. No videos, please ;) I am sure the useful explanation is few lines of text long... hope so, gut feeling.

Thank you in advance!
MikeG.6.5

Re: ownCloud: Trying and Failing

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

How are you trying to get to the ownCloud service? http:/local.ip.goes.here:880/owncloud should be the path in your browser.

Did you follow the ownCloud install procedures in that forum that require you setting up phpMyAdmin and making the requisite account? (Need an account made for the ownCloud service itself, I think....)

The instructions for installing ownCloud are here: http://support.asustor.com/index.php?/K ... l-owncloud

You have to log into phpMyAdmin with root account, which uses the same passward as your admin account. user id is root.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

You may have to stop and start the web server svices in the Services app in the ADM to get to either or both after you install phpMyAdmin or ownCloud....
Gramotey

Post by Gramotey »

Thank you, MikeG.6.5, we should arrange for those beers running for you... and ASUSTOR should definitely consider having you on their cookie distribution list :)
But, alas - this is what I am talking about: all manuals are just completely hosed. Following your link, the problem arises in the very firs item,
1. Go to “Service/MySQL Server” and make sure it is running.
--- guess what? I don't have that in services. I do not have MySQL server. Now what? ;) Installing and running phpMyAdmin opens separate browser window that says that my router setting just has been modified, when in fact nothing has been modified. And that is all I can do.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

MySQLServer was upgraded a while back to MariaDB Server, so if you go into Services you should see that there.

For some reason when I try going to the local IP instead of using the DDNS name I get an error. But when I do a DDNS name it works. Not sure what's going on with that, but accessing phpMyAdmin uses the web port, and not the MariaDB port... You just need to turn it on.

Going for a trike ride now, so it might be a few hours before I come back to see how things are working for you. (or not, I guess.) (I have a recumbent tadpole trike with a 750W electric motor on it, it is FUN to ride!) :)
Gramotey

Post by Gramotey »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:For some reason when I try going to the local IP instead of using the DDNS name I get an error. But when I do a DDNS name it works. Not sure what's going on with that, but accessing phpMyAdmin uses the web port, and not the MariaDB port... You just need to turn it on.
Thank you, Mike! Once I am through with this, I'd have to put together a single step-by-step walkthrough, no videos, no BS, just 1-2-3.
... okay, I've got this ownCloud now running locally (I have client installed, it refused to connect via DDNS address, only local), so it's kind of the opposite of what you are describing. I'd need this thing to work for both the outside and inside. Can you share an example of what you suggest in terms of port forwarding and firewall settings, as it seems my problem now lies in that domain... and also the corresponding example of the server address as I would enter it into the client when registering... there was some confusion there, as to https://nas_ddnsname.myasustor.com:corresponding_port/owncloud/??? Little by little, with your help, I am getting this togerher!!! :) Thank you!
MikeG.6.5 wrote:Going for a trike ride now, so it might be a few hours before I come back to see how things are working for you. (or not, I guess.) (I have a recumbent tadpole trike with a 750W electric motor on it, it is FUN to ride!) :)
Sounds awesome. I've looked up some of similar things on the web, probably a cool thing! Hope you've had fun!
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Port forwarding is going to be the main web server port, so you have to check on the NAS's web server service to see which ports it's using.

On the router you need to set a static IP for the NAS. This should be within the same subnet mask, but outside of the DHCP scope, if possible. (Don't worry if that doesn't make any sense. It has an IP already, and you can make it use that same IP, if you want to.)

Then, on the router you need to configure the port that is going to be forwarded to the device that has the application to respond to it. (The NAS's IP. And this is why you should have it set to static, as the port forward rules need to know what machine, and that machine needs to always be at that IP.)

An example rule would be something like this:

WAN traffic on port 3443 will always go to internal IP 123.123.123.123 on port 443. (The reason I used 3443 is that it's a somewhat reserved port for somethings. and we don't want confusion with other apps that may or may not work right...)

Some routers don't allow rebinding. This is where traffic originating on an internal IP requests something that also resides on an internal IP, the router says it can't happen. It prevents you from accessing local sites via an external request when the originating request is also local. Most routers that have this you can change the settings to allow this kind of traffic. I forget what router you have, but check it's manual to see if this is so, and how to change it.

Then you should be able to use this line to access the ownCloud main web page, and log in as you or your wife to test:

https://DDNS.name.goes.here:3443/owncloud

That assumes that the port forwarded is 3443. And this also assumes you don't have problems with the rebinding....

As for the trike ride... Did almost 11 miles, saw a couple of new places, and had a small wreck. Ripped pants and bruised egos the only problems. The trike can do over 17mph with the motor running and my pedaling, in 5th gear out of 8... (Speed limit on the MUPS is 15, so 17 was pushing a bit...) :) Averaged about 6-7mph, and actually had a lot of fun!

The trike I have is a TerraTrike Rover, and you can look at the info on them here: http://terratrike.com/rover.php The motor is a Bafang BBS02, that I mounted a bit differently. It's a 750W 48V motor, and the battery should give between 50 and 100 miles on a full charge.

I'm a disabled Vet and this trike is about the only exercise I can get. I hope to live at least a few more years, and I'm hoping the trike riding can help me do that.... :)
Gramotey

Post by Gramotey »

Thank you Mike!
Just tried it from work (outside of my home network): the first time, my newly installed ownCloud client did throw a window with something about a certificate, and I said to 'trust it anyway', and then connection was reset. The subsequent attempts, it just says there is no response from the server.

I am forwarding three ports, 8080, 6603, and 443 (on NAS input end).
NAS IP is static within LAN.

I'll beat this into submission, eventually. The problem is that at home it's hard to troubleshoot this... I have to connect through my phone using it as hotspot. Kinda works but they also have some restrictions so just adds confusion.
---
Wow, after a couple of connec attempts I cannot get into my web interface anymore. It seems that there's some kind of firewall problem or something.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

hi
Did you ever got this page from your browser ? : https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/adm ... izard.html
Gramotey

Post by Gramotey »

Yes I did, but only when I was on my home LAN.
This cloud thing seems to work and sync everything but I had to use my local IP address for Windows client for all to work.
If I am away from home, I can access ADM just as I was before, but as for the ownCloud, it is still unresolved. There was enough info above from MikeG.6.5 to get me up to this point.
Once I have all working as intended, I'll go through this process again from start to end, and will make some screen shots and 1-2-3 walkthrough.
... I just have nearly zero priority assigned to this project, maybe 20-30 mins a day, from time to time :(

Return to “ownCloud”