Problem setting up mailserver on AS3102T

ASUSTOR’s Mail Server offers a comprehensive and cost-effective solution that allows any business to easily maintain their own dedicated mail server.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

linde03
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Problem setting up mailserver on AS3102T

Post by linde03 »

Hi there,
I am trying to install mailserver on my asustor AS3102T to be used with my own domain name, but got stranded when installing thunderbird. I am quite fuzzy on what might be going wrong.
Here is what I did:
1. Forwarded all the mentioned port on my router. (The NAS confirms via the EZ-router functionality that the ports are open.)
2. Applied for my own domain name at hosting company (http://www.mydomain.de)
3. Changed the mx record to: “mydomain.de 3600 IN MX 10 mydomain.de “
(tried the nas ip with and without http://, but this gives error)
4. Installed mailserver app on nas
5. Enabled smtp and added mydomain.de text in domain name field
6. Installed thunderbird
7. For email account setup, I have used the nas admin username and password (admin@mydomain.de). I have no domain users, and no idea how to set it up in windows 7. But thunderbird reports that it can’t find settings for this mail account.
Can someone please review my steps and suggest what may be going wrong?
Kapitein Haak

Re: Problem setting up mailserver on AS3102T

Post by Kapitein Haak »

Hello Linde03,

You also need to configure the mailserver to allow access from clients. You can do this on the POP3 / IMAP tab of the mailserver. If you enable access here (i suggest IMAP SSL), then Thunderbird *should* be able to access the mailserver app. This may not be all that is required, usually ISPs will block outgoing access on port 25. Then you would need to configure mailserver with the SMTP relay server of your ISP as well.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
linde03

Post by linde03 »

Hello Kapitein Haak,
thank you very much for looking at my case.
All options on the POP3 / IMAP tab are enabled (have been by default).
My ISP is ziggo (used to be upc). I have now enabled the relay option with my isp settings (smtp.ziggo.nl and port 587)
Results from Thunderbird are still the same.
Will this impact my port forwarding as this is not the expected port 25? Or is this automatically done by the relay function?
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

Hello Linde03,

Check if you can get Thunderbird to connect to the NAS locally. Set up Thunderbird to look at the IP address of your NAS for IMAP / POP3 and check if it can connect. Local connectivity is the first step, accessing the mailbox from the internet a second. This way you do not need to check the portforwarding and other problem.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
linde03

Post by linde03 »

Hello Kapitein Haak,
if I replace the domain name with the local ip address of the NAS, thunderbird connects with the NAS ok.
What can I check next?
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

Hello Linde03,

Now you need to make sure the ports are forwarded as they should be. Make a note of the ports Thunderbird is using at this time to connect to the mailserver and use port forwarding (and not EZ-router) to forward the ports to your NAS on your ISP router. Then connect your device running Thunderbird to a different internet connection then your NAS (some routers do not like to route traffic from the LAN to the internet and then back to the LAN, though I have no problems with my Ziggo connection). Then retry again ;-). It may be a bit of trial and error befor you get it running. Please change the configuration of Thunderbird to your external IP first (and check if it works OK) before trying your domainnname.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
---
linde03

Post by linde03 »

Hello Kapitein Haak,
thanks for the tips again.
I think the port forwarding on the isp router is set ok. I have also added now port 587 to be forwarded to the nas ip.
Thunderbird indicates its using port 110 for POP and port 25 for SMTP
Another thing I would like to mention is that any mail I sent to admin@mydomain.de from another mail account, bounces immediatly (delivery status notification (failure)).
If the server can be reached from outside, I would think that it could receive/store mail. Wondering if something could be wrong with the mx record setting.
Have tried sending a mail via thunderbird (using local ip settings). It was registered by the nas mail server, but it won't arrive in my hotmail inbox (did check the spam folder as well)
Any feedback on that?
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

If only setting up a mailserver was as easy as installing the app ;-).
The next steps for incoming email:
Step 1
Run from your computer the following command in a command prompt:
telnet <ip.of.your.nas> 25
This should return:
220 <domain name> SMTP Postfix
If it does, the mailserver app is listening on the correct port and is active. If it returns with a command not found, use Google to install the telnet client.
Step 2
Run the same command on your WAN IP and on your domain name.
It should reply with the same message. If it doesn't check the port forwarding in your router

Step 3
Could you post the exact message of the bounce mail (without any domain names)?

The step for outgoing email
When you setup mail relay, you probably need to setup authentication to send mail to hotmail. Use your UPC/Ziggo account for this. Forward to the smtp server, port 25, no TLS.

Please post your results here.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
---
linde03

Post by linde03 »

Hello Kapitein Haak,
thanks for your patience with me.
I guess I need to learn to walk, before I can run :-)
Results from step 1: 220 <domain name> ESMTP Postfix
Results from step 2a: same
step 2b gives: 220 redirect03.totaal.net ESMTP Postfix
I guess, this is not as expected and a clue to the problem?

Found a problem with the username for the ziggo smtp relay, but the mail still bounces and pasted below:

Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
Acties
postmaster@mail.hotmail.com (postmaster@mail.hotmail.com) Toevoegen aan contactpersonen Bijlage 15:28 Dit bericht markeren
Aan: xxxxx@hotmail.com
postmaster@mail.hotmail.com
Outlook.com Interactieve weergave
1 bijlage (1,6 kB)
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

admin@mydomain.de

--Doorgestuurd bericht in de bijlage--
To: admin@mydomain.de
Subject: test
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 15:27:57 -0400

test
linde03

Post by linde03 »

Hello Kapitein Haak,
some success to report based on your below quote.
Kapitein Haak wrote: The step for outgoing email
When you setup mail relay, you probably need to setup authentication to send mail to hotmail. Use your UPC/Ziggo account for this. Forward to the smtp server, port 25, no TLS.
When I set the smtp relay port to 25 (instead of 587 as quoted by ziggo), I can suddenly sent out mail with Thunderbird (and it arrived in my hotmail account), but it won't work without TLS.

Return to “Mail Server”