(SOLVED) Slow Streaming Video with ADM chrome and Emby,

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Uncleben000
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

(SOLVED) Slow Streaming Video with ADM chrome and Emby,

Post by Uncleben000 »

Hello,
I have an ASUSTOR AS5102T - w/ 2 gb RAM.
I find that after I have updated to the new ADM 2.5.3.RE23 but the old ADM is wasn't 100% either when I stream on the Chrome and watching youtube and using EMBY to stream my HD movies and shows its super choppy.
Is there anyway to update chrome manually and what version do I choose to download Chrome LINUX.
Do I need to update something like VLC? would that help?
Could it be my 2gb memory is not enough should I upgrade to a 4gb? but simple Youtube stream is super choppy too (even at 480p)

However.
If I run KODI and I stream from there it is nice and smooth no matter the quality. So I don't know what I can do?
Please help if you have a heart :)
MikeG.6.5

Re: Slow Streaming Video with ADM chrome and Emby,

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I know Emby uses much the same engine that Plex does. (They are both based on ffmpeg.) For that matter, so is Kodi I believe. The differences are, Kodi isn't designed so much as a streaming out to clients as Emby and Plex are.

I have a thread in the Tips and Tricks about home theater on a NAS. Part of that thread (which is locked, BTW.) is talking about buffering and how to get around it. Emby is a bit different, so I don't know the exact details of making it work 100%, but for Plex, I can make even a small CPU NAS Direct Play (without any transcodes) almost any media by converting that media before I had it to Plex to stream.

You may have to do the very same things for Emby. If you go to Emby's forums and search you may find out that only MP4 with H264 and AAC stereo are 100% playable, but other formats aren't. (This is what Plex needs also, BTW.) So if your files are MKV and in VC-1 video codec and DTS-HD audio, you are forcing the NAS to convert the media RT, which is always going to be slower than playback speed on that NAS.

I don't know Emby, so this is just a guess, based on my 2 years of running Plex in a pretty heavy use environment. YMMV
Uncleben000

Post by Uncleben000 »

Thanks for some information MikeG.6.5,

To add to my clarification to my problem is streaming video through Kodi is strictly streaming other peoples content or live tv and not from my own stored collections. That runs perfectly smooth and the video is not choppy.
But for both streaming youtube (streaming content) and emby (my own saved content) on Chrome it is just unwatchable.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Take a look at your download speed, then? I know Chrome in the Portal is a somewhat older version, and that might have something to do with it? Sorry I can't help more. Emby wasn't even an option for Asustor NASes when I got my first one. Started with Plex and haven't looked back. I just knew XBMC/Kodi wasn't what I was looking for at all....
Uncleben000

Post by Uncleben000 »

Fixed: I did 2 things though I
upgraded my 2GB RAM to 4GB and updated to new ADM Beta.
My streams are running smooth now.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”