ADM 2.5.3 RE23 - random disk-removed-error

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

totti
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

ADM 2.5.3 RE23 - random disk-removed-error

Post by totti »

Hi,
I upgraded my 602T to ADM 2.5.3 RE23 two days ago.
Since then, I have had several random errors like "Disk in slot 1 was removed" or "Disk in slot 2 was removed" or both.
This even happened at night, when I had no physical or online access to to it.
It restarts fine after holding the power button to shut it down and restarting it. Then, of course, I get "The NAS did not shut down properly".

Hard drive statuses are "Good". No damaged files or the like. They have been running only a few months yet. 80% of the stoarage is free.
I have only very few of the standard apps running. Even disabled webserver and almost every other service.
I didn't touch the HD slots at all since the installation a few months ago.

Never had any issue before, so I believe, this came up with the latest ADM release. I was looking for the 2.5.1 firmware for a downgrade, but couldn't find it.

Any suggsetions, how to solve this?

THANKS!
MikeG.6.5

Re: ADM 2.5.3 RE23 - random disk-removed-error

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

It almost sounds as if you have drives going bad. I suppose it's possible that the controller built into the NAS could also be a potential culprit.

I haven't had any issues like what you are describing, and I've been upgraded to the RE23 since the day it hit the streets. Although I usually wait to upgrade the ADM, for some reason I went out on a limb and did it as soon as I saw it that day. It's rock solid for me on my 7004T.
orion

Post by orion »

I think you should check SMART information to see if there are any bad marks (under ADM web page -> Storage -> Disk). If everything is normal, there should be something wrong with software. You should send a support request to asustor then. They should be able to downgrade software if you request. As I know, there is someone here in this forum that posted an anchor with older software packages. You might be able to search it.
totti

Post by totti »

orion wrote:I think you should check SMART information to see if there are any bad marks (under ADM web page -> Storage -> Disk). If everything is normal, there should be something wrong with software. You should send a support request to asustor then. They should be able to downgrade software if you request. As I know, there is someone here in this forum that posted an anchor with older software packages. You might be able to search it.
Thanks for your replys. I should have specified my disks, sorry.
I use 2 WD red, 3 TB. One is about 1 year old. The other one was brandnew, when I put it in in September 15.
When my 602 is working, they both show S.M.A.R.T "healthy" and Status "good". I really doubt, these could be the problem. At the same time. And coming back on after reboot without damage. Seems unlikely.

Yesterday, I had it again. This time "[Volume] Volume 1 inaccassible." There was no way to shut it down via software, so I had to press the power button again. Today it started fine (messaging that it didn't shut down correctly).

The protokoll doesn't mention a disc failure or removal. Only the incorrect shutdowns. I also mentioned that I updated the firmware from 2.5.2 RDP1 to 2.5.3 RE23. So 2.5.2 was running fine.

I think it should be easy to manually downgrade the ADM, all I need is the .img file.

Where could I file a ticket with ASUS? Is all I need the serial no? I do not have the original bill.

Thanks.
orion

Post by orion »

Yes, serial number and model name should be enough. I discussed with their support guys many times. Their responses are fast. Here is the anchor: http://support.asustor.com/

EDIT: I found the topic that someone discussed about downgrade. http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7062
totti

Post by totti »

Thanks Orion.
I contacted Asus, now. Hope, they will solve it. I will post, whatever comes out.
Arniceous

Post by Arniceous »

when I initially upgraded to ADM 2.0 after it came out during their 4 day holiday a year or so ago my 604T failed to see all 4 bays and it took a solid week to get Taiwan to finally remote me and fix that glitch migrating from a different file structure with Kodai. Since that day I can only advise not to upgrade right away!! Wait a few days or a week monitor issues with the release if any are reported. And you can readup on what is in the new release as I just did with 2.2.3 which I didn't not take. I don't view pictures with my NAS so I'm not taking the update plus everything is working great. Also if you are strictly using your NAS for home media center and surveillance it will work indefinitely with no updates! And if they improve something like faster refresh rates etc... pertaining to movies you will see that in the release notes so read them before updating if the update isn't really necessary why run the risk.
totti

Post by totti »

You are right, I wasn't giving it any thought, when I upgraded. Probably, I just thought, a NAS is a security relvant peace of equipment - the should only be safe fixes. Anyway, after their holidays ASUSTOR got back to me and we had a few teamview sessions. The regular log didn't reveal to much so they started an extra log via putty to record every minute. Nothing could be found but still I had these random failures. It could be the board, but to be sure we agreed that I downgrade to 2.5.2 after backing up my data. During the backup it stalled more frequently. And how do you safe hidden home folders, that are not associated to admin???
Downgrade worked without troubles and the discs started syncing again. After a much longer period, in the middle of the night, with no computer on it came again: disk in slot 1 removed, disk in slot 2 removed, Volume 1 inaccessible. Reboot today. After a few hours the same. The hardware seems to be damaged now. Damn. This never occured before I got to 2.5.3, though...
Hope there is still warranty on it!
Arniceous

Post by Arniceous »

if you have your data backed try a format and then start over. or get with support group for remote session to try first
totti

Post by totti »

Yes, support suggested to start new as well.
Now I try to figure out the smartest way:
A. Buy a smaller extra disk to try it out without formatting my current setup.
B. Remove one disk (1) and use the second (2) from my RAID1 for formatting and starting new.

If B doesn't work - could I just take out disk 1, put in 2 and resynchronize 1 with 2 and get back to the former state?

I also contacted the original shop who sold this NAS (according to the SN) in Czech Republic, which is kind of bad, since I am located in Germany. It would be better to have a local distributor who would take care of the RMA process. ;-)

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”