How to back up the "Home" folder?

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

PerthG
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

How to back up the "Home" folder?

Post by PerthG »

I just purchased a new NAS 606T. I have started saving all my files in folders under the "Home" folder however the "Home" folder is the only one the system doesn't allow me to back up. Why is that? Is this folder not meant to be used for storing files? Is there a way to back up the Home folder?
orion

Re: How to back up the "Home" folder?

Post by orion »

You can try to un-check "Disable file access to this shared folder" under ADM web page -> Access Control -> Shared Folders -> User Homes -> Edit. You can backup home folder if you are in "administrators" group.
AYu

Post by AYu »

orion wrote:You can try to un-check "Disable file access to this shared folder" under ADM web page -> Access Control -> Shared Folders -> User Homes -> Edit. You can backup home folder if you are in "administrators" group.
Hi, I am using AS202TE and I am experiencing the same situation as PerthG. I found that the "Disable file access to this shared folder" of the Home folder was not checked and I still could not choose to back up the Home folder. Actually, I could not see the Home folder when I was asked to choose which folder to be backup with the "external backup" of "backup and restore". Thank you.
orion

Post by orion »

AYu wrote: Hi, I am using AS202TE and I am experiencing the same situation as PerthG. I found that the "Disable file access to this shared folder" of the Home folder was not checked and I still could not choose to back up the Home folder. Actually, I could not see the Home folder when I was asked to choose which folder to be backup with the "external backup" of "backup and restore". Thank you.
I can see "User Homes" under "external backup" of "backup and restore".
Backup and Restore selection
Backup and Restore selection
backup1.png (62.84 KiB) Viewed 15038 times
Can you post your picture here?
AYu

Post by AYu »

Thanks Orion, I found that I did not "Disable file access to this shared folder" of the "User Home" folder. I just "Disable file access to this shared folder" of the "Home" folder. After I did it, I could see "Admin" under the "User Home" folder in "external backup" of "backup and restore". Thank you very much.
Jagstyles

Post by Jagstyles »

Interesting, i'm have the same issue where I cannot backup anything in the Home folder to an external device. In fact, the Home folder doesn't even show up in the options of folders I can backup. I'm logged in as an admin when setting up and creating the backup. I wanted to backup the Onedrive folder, which is located in the Home folder to my external USB as well.

Any ideas/suggestions?
orion

Post by orion »

Jagstyles wrote:Interesting, i'm have the same issue where I cannot backup anything in the Home folder to an external device. In fact, the Home folder doesn't even show up in the options of folders I can backup. I'm logged in as an admin when setting up and creating the backup. I wanted to backup the Onedrive folder, which is located in the Home folder to my external USB as well.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Can you post your screen pictures here? Under "ADM web page -> Access Control -> Shared Folders -> User Homes -> Edit" and under "external backup" of "backup and restore"?
Jagstyles

Post by Jagstyles »

orion wrote:
Jagstyles wrote:Interesting, i'm have the same issue where I cannot backup anything in the Home folder to an external device. In fact, the Home folder doesn't even show up in the options of folders I can backup. I'm logged in as an admin when setting up and creating the backup. I wanted to backup the Onedrive folder, which is located in the Home folder to my external USB as well.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Can you post your screen pictures here? Under "ADM web page -> Access Control -> Shared Folders -> User Homes -> Edit" and under "external backup" of "backup and restore"?
See below screenshots:

Thanks
orion

Post by orion »

Ok, the first picture shows that you disabled it. You need to "uncheck" the top option. Then you can see "User Homes" in external backup operation.
Jagstyles

Post by Jagstyles »

DUH! Can't believe I missed that... lol. Thanks!

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”