Perl with SSL socket libraries

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

kmleow
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Perl with SSL socket libraries

Post by kmleow »

I tried setting up ddclient to use SSL but it failed due to missing IO socket SSL libraries.
I then tried to install the missing libraries via PPM but failed.

If anyone knows how to setup properly, please share.

Otherwise, can Asustor please add this feature in?

Thank you
MikeG.6.5

Re: Perl with SSL socket libraries

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

This is an on-going issue with Asustor's Python and Perl installs. I fought with Asustor Tech Support for weeks trying to get them to work on this. Finally got a TeamViewer session going with them and they could see the problem. They did a real quick patch for parts, but not for all.

The issue is actually with the way the OS is implemented. The required OS libraries are missing on the 64-bit devices. I was assured this would be fixed on the next OS update, but haven't tried it since I have a Python port of the app I was trying to get working and the errors are less of an issue with the python port than they were for the perl version.

This particular issue created some hate and discontent with my work, costing me the job, and a few other problems. It also cost Asustor the sale of 50+ AS-7004T's, as the company went with a different vendor for the NAS system.

I had limited leverage trying to get this resolved, with a potential of $50K in sales, and got no where with it. I was told that "This is just a NAS, not a full blown computer" when the 70xx series has a better CPU than most of the desktop devices my company had in house at the time.... I hope you have better luck. I was told I was expecting too much from the device. In reality, the limiting factor is and has been Asustor limiting what we can and can't do because of a mold they seem to have about these devices.

Create a support ticket and hope you can get a better reply than I did.
Quote.L@AST

Post by Quote.L@AST »

Dear kmleow ,

NAS is not a pure open system which it can install every thing just like what general Linux can do .
The perl of ASUSTOR App Central only include the basic modules. You might not be able to install perl module if
those modules needs make/gcc to compile .
I had made a perl which is with SSL module. ( it is for 64bit platforms AS6/AS5/AS7/AS61 etc)
You can install this perl - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rbotrt13x5ef ... 4.apk?dl=0

Please try this one.

Have a nice weekend,

Q
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Quote's posted Perl worked, but still had some issues.

If the OS install included the necessary files in the base OS install like the 32-bit OS did, then installing Perl from the original repository would have been ideal, and really is pretty straight forward with WinSCP or another shell client. As it is, a couple of required GCC libraries are missing and the install fails. Quote and an engineer and I spent some time narrowing this down several months ago, and I was assured those files would be included in a later OS update.

It's not surprising, but it would appear these files didn't make the cut for 2.5, as I still cannot install Perl from the repository, and the errors Python is exhibiting are very similar to the errors Perl has displayed. If the entire GCC library were actually part of the OS any or all of the exhibited errors for either of these script engines would work straight out of the box. Since Asustor is a closed source system, Asustor is making decisions of our usage, based on their vision of our need, and not OUR vision. While this might fit their support model, it is severely limiting the full potential of these systems.

Enough banging on the support people. This is a business decision, not a support decision. To get these and other issues resolved, we, the users, need to get the bean counters involved. As we already have the product, there aren't many ways open to use for that. I was in a position to influence things, as I alluded to earlier, but the decision by Asustor to drag their feet getting the problems resolved were expensive to not just Asustor with the loss of a 50 unit sale, but to myself, on several levels.

Do I still recommend Asustor? Yes, but ONLY one model range. The 700x range. Simply because of the complete under-powered CPU's from the others in the line up. Also, with the caveat that some things won't work entirely as advertised. I've learned some work arounds to get the functionality I need and want, but if this were a competitor's product those work arounds would not be needed. Knowing what I know now, though, I would have gone with the competitor's product.
primusd

Post by primusd »

Quote.L@AST wrote:Dear kmleow ,

NAS is not a pure open system which it can install every thing just like what general Linux can do .
The perl of ASUSTOR App Central only include the basic modules. You might not be able to install perl module if
those modules needs make/gcc to compile .
I had made a perl which is with SSL module. ( it is for 64bit platforms AS6/AS5/AS7/AS61 etc)
You can install this perl - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rbotrt13x5ef ... 4.apk?dl=0

Please try this one.

Have a nice weekend,

Q
Sorry for responding to such an old thread, but is it possible perhaps to use Entware to install libio-socket-ssl-perl
module and/or would this apk still work (I have an AS6104T running 2.6.6 RCF2)?

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Feature Requests”