adding drive

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

kdwg1308
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

adding drive

Post by kdwg1308 »

i've had a as204te for a couple of months with a wd red 3tb drive. the idea was to rip all my music onto it for streaming through my hi-fi. great no problems.
i didn't intend to do anything else but then tried ripping my dvd-bluray collection it. it proved a lot easier than i thought so ive just kept at it.

now that drive is just about full so i've bought another, put it in to double my storage but the second drive is just sitting there inactive. looking through here it looks like ive made a bit of a mess of this as i thought i could plug in drives and get them to add the storage together to give me one big drive. is that not correct? if not then how do i go about it?
i'm not interested in backup, i have all the physical media so back up is irrelevant, the streaming is for convenience.

thanks

ken
Stik

Re: adding drive

Post by Stik »

I am new to Asustor but I do know that when you put in a new drive you will not see it until you create the volume in storage manager
and then create a shared folder on it under access control.
kdwg1308

Post by kdwg1308 »

hi stik,
thanks for that. if I create another volume will that give me all the storage or mirror as backup? also will it delete the data already on the first disk?

thanks again.

ken
orion

Post by orion »

You should create a new "single" volume (ADM web -> Storage Manager). Then, you'll see a new "volume-2" created. Your first WD 3TB disk should be "volume-1". The original shared folders (like Public, Download, ...) should locate at volume-1.

After that, you'll need to create another shared folder (for example, share2. ADM web -> Access Control -> Shared Folders) that locate at volume-2. You should be able to access "share2" from network. That's not mirror / backup. Your data on volume-1 will not be changed.
kdwg1308

Post by kdwg1308 »

many thanks for that orion.
that looks pretty straight forward and i will try that tonight when i get home.

thanks again to you both

ken
kdwg1308

Post by kdwg1308 »

me again,
i've added 4th drive to my nas, i can see it as volume 4 in storage manager, i can see it as share 4 in file explorer, its setting are the same as the other discs and yet its not showing up on my my network, either with upnp or dnla.

any thoughts on where i'm going wrong?

thanks

ken
orion

Post by orion »

If "settings are the same", I think you can try to restart those services (upnp and dlna, not sure what the applications you installed). Go to App Central, disable them, enable them again.
kdwg1308

Post by kdwg1308 »

thanks Orion, will give that a try.

ken
kdwg1308

Post by kdwg1308 »

thanks orion, got it working now.
tried what you said, also moved a file into the drive and it shows up now.

thanks again

ken

Return to “Tips & Tricks”