slow VPN

ASUSTOR's VPN service brings businesses a truly effective solution.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

ramzez
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: slow VPN

Post by ramzez »

it would be but i put numbers not in megaBytes per second but in megaBits.
AS202TE
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

ramzez wrote:it would be but i put numbers not in megaBytes per second but in megaBits.
So 1.78 is in Mbps, aka 222.5 kB/s?
Did you test the connection on both ends, aka speedtest both from the NAS connection and from the remote connection you are connecting from?
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

yes i did, both are very fast. i was hoping vpn would achieve at least 7-8Mbit. since the upload of my US home connection is 11mbit tops.
AS202TE
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

Alright. Then I don't really think I can help you out here :(.

Personally I run a VPN server on a Digital Ocean droplet, and I connect my NAS to it as a client (I do however use command-line openvpn, not the one from the ADM web interface, since it is not configurable enough). I get decent speeds, ~2 - 2.5MB/s (16-20 Mbps). And I think that limit is due to the droplets bandwidth.
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

Hmm, interesting maybe worth experimenting with openVPN rather than PPTP for speed comparison. although later much easier to setup.
AS202TE
Vincent.T@AST

Post by Vincent.T@AST »

Hi ramzez,

We also did a test here: use a PC in site A (40Mbps up/100Mbps down) to access NAS in site B (20Mbps up/60Mbps down) via FTP to test. Without VPN connection, the PC can transfer data at 3.1-3.5MBps upload, 2.1-2.3MBps download. With VPN connection (both tried OpnVPN and PPTP), the PC upload speed is around 3MBps, and download speed is around 2MBps.

In order to clarify your issue, would you please give me the VPN server access information of your NAS via private message? I can use the same PC in site A (40Mbps up/100Mbps down) to test the VPN connection speed to your NAS. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Vincent Tseng
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

@Vincent.T@AST i am currently out of country, can i ping you when i am back?
AS202TE
Vincent.T@AST

Post by Vincent.T@AST »

Hi ramzez,

Sure! ;)
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

@Vincent.T@AST i am back let me know how we can connect. Thanks!
AS202TE
Vincent.T@AST

Post by Vincent.T@AST »

Hi ramzez,

Please give me your VPN server access information via private message. I will use the PC in our site to test the VPN connection speed to your NAS. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Vincent

Return to “VPN Server”