Looking at AS-608T

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

wheels2040
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Looking at AS-608T

Post by wheels2040 »

Was just about ready to buy the Synology DS1815+ when I came across the Asustor AS-608T. I'd like some feedback from users. I will be using it to store Bluray rips streaming to a DuneHD, as an iSCSI target for VMware ESXi hosts, and for downloading with NZBget and CouchPotato. How quickly are the 3rd party apps updated when the developer releases new versions? Is the extra 2GB required?

Thanks.
wheels2040

Re: Looking at AS-608T

Post by wheels2040 »

Also Plex, but no transcoding.
clinton.hall

Post by clinton.hall »

I maintain the NZBGet, SickBeard, SickRage and CouchPOtato Apps for Ausustor.

SickRage/SickBEard and CouhcPotato allow for auto_upadting via git in the applications, so these are easy to keep uptodate, and you can easily use an ssh command to switch to develop branches etc.

For NZBGet, I have built in a git pull to update to the latest (compiled) version... Alos, the ability to specify Stable or Testing versions.
I do need to compile the binaries before this is available... I usually aim to do this within 2 days of the snnouncement at NZBGet forums.

So these are all quickly updated. I can't comment on syno specifically, but I don't think you would be dissapointed with these Apps on Asustor.

I myself recommend addign more RAM, particularly when adding several "server-type" Apps.
AS-604T
3 x ST4000DM0000 (Seagate 4TB) in Raid5
2 GB RAM expansion
AS-302T

Apps (user)
NZBGet - CouchPotato - SickBeard - Git - Python

Apps (maintainer):
NZBGet - BitTorrent Sync - Mylar - LazyLibrarian - Gamez
-Maintenance of Apps acquired from JohhnyFive since ADM2.0:
SABnzbd - CouchPotato - SickBeard - HeadPhones - Subsonic

About Me: http://fockwulf.wix.com/index
wheels2040

Post by wheels2040 »

Thanks Clinton. Good information.
Auberon2k

Post by Auberon2k »

Much of what you are looking for is how I use my AS-608T. I did have my ESX host connected to an iSCSI drive for a bit but switched to an NFS mount, gave me a bit more flexibility of the share/folder for my purposes. I use uTorrent/CouchPotato for movies, though I do have NZB and SickBeard/Rage, just haven't fully set that up. It's been a great machine.
wheels2040

Post by wheels2040 »

Thanks. I just noticed there is going to be a AS5108T, so I might wait to see the specs for that. Looks like it might be a Celeron quad core like the rest of the 51xx series.

Return to “Presales”