(SOLVED) DropBox, change folder

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

maartmail
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: DropBox, change folder

Post by maartmail »

I also would like to be able to change the location of the sync folder. I hope Asustor will allow this in a future update :!:
Happy Snake

Post by Happy Snake »

I would like to use the same Dropbox account with multiple user accounts. Due to Dropbox folder being created in Home this does not seem possible.
Can I please get some help on how to work around it or can you please include an option in the software which allows a choice of folder destination to enable me to use a different folder which is shared across accounts.

Thanks
ippe

Post by ippe »

I do also need to change the Dropbox folder, because I need to have access from local network to my Dropbox.

When dropbox folder is forced to be in home folder, there dropbox option in the Asustor NAS box is just a non working torso of an application.
gibxxi

Post by gibxxi »

I got around this (temporary) limitation by first syncing the dropbox addon to my account, then;

1. Stopped the Dropbox Addon/service.
2. SSH'd in with SmartFTP (SFTP over SSH).
3. Deleted the /volume1/home/admin/Dropbox folder (Note the uppercase "D" in Dropbox. Do NOT delete the ".dropbox" or ".dropbox-dist" folders!).
4. Used a Terminal over SSH session (also with SmartFTP) to create a symbolic link from the "/volume1/home/admin" folder, naming it "Dropbox" exactly as the previous folder had been named and linking it to a Dropbox "share" I had previously created.
5. Re-enabled the Dropbox service in ADM.

So to recap, from the /volume1/home/admin folder (cd into this folder first) you would use the following command:

ln -s <destination-folder/share> Dropbox

Remember to specify the destination as an "absolute" rather than a relative path and hit enter to create the symbolic link. Then when the service/addon is restarted it will see the symbolic link as the default "Dropbox" folder it expects to see. Obviously, this only currently works with a single-user Dropbox account, and you may need to set restrictions on share access for your NAS' users if that applies to your scenario, but it does work in having a globally accessible Dropbox share on the NAS.
___ GibsonXXI ___
"Si vis pacem para bellum!"

NAS1: Asustor AS5104T | NAS2: Infrant Repertoire U4 (Modified)
sys

Post by sys »

Normally I just share it through Dropbox directly.

Maybe you can sync the user home dropbox folder internally to other folders and then share this folder with others?

You can use 127.0.0.1 to backup internally through ftp or rsync in Backup and Restore.
ZonalRipper

Post by ZonalRipper »

gibxxi wrote:I got around this (temporary) limitation by first syncing the dropbox addon to my account, then;

1. Stopped the Dropbox Addon/service.
2. SSH'd in with SmartFTP (SFTP over SSH).
3. Deleted the /volume1/home/admin/Dropbox folder (Note the uppercase "D" in Dropbox. Do NOT delete the ".dropbox" or ".dropbox-dist" folders!).
4. Used a Terminal over SSH session (also with SmartFTP) to create a symbolic link from the "/volume1/home/admin" folder, naming it "Dropbox" exactly as the previous folder had been named and linking it to a Dropbox "share" I had previously created.
5. Re-enabled the Dropbox service in ADM.

So to recap, from the /volume1/home/admin folder (cd into this folder first) you would use the following command:

ln -s <destination-folder/share> Dropbox

Remember to specify the destination as an "absolute" rather than a relative path and hit enter to create the symbolic link. Then when the service/addon is restarted it will see the symbolic link as the default "Dropbox" folder it expects to see. Obviously, this only currently works with a single-user Dropbox account, and you may need to set restrictions on share access for your NAS' users if that applies to your scenario, but it does work in having a globally accessible Dropbox share on the NAS.
This was the exact information i was after and seems to of worked a treat, now i have a shared folder that i can access from other PC's to add/remove folders as i please and this will be automatically updated to dropbox
Thank you so much gibxxi
gibxxi

Post by gibxxi »

Glad I could be of assistance m8. :)
___ GibsonXXI ___
"Si vis pacem para bellum!"

NAS1: Asustor AS5104T | NAS2: Infrant Repertoire U4 (Modified)

Return to “DataSync for Dropbox”