New to networking HELP !!!

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

staiger
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

New to networking HELP !!!

Post by staiger »

Hello all.

I will be getting a ASUSTOR AS-604T in the next few days but for the time being I will not have my network set up. Being disabled I have asked a I.T. guy to install all the wiring for me. My question is this, my motherboard an Asus Z97 Deluxe has two NIC's. One is connected to my virgin media router the other is doing nothing. Could I attach the NAS directly to my computer or does it have to attach to a "network" I do not really want to connect to the virgin media router as that's not close to where the NAS will be located.

I very much appreciate any and all help provided.

Thanks
Iain
zakspop

Re: New to networking HELP !!!

Post by zakspop »

You can connect it to the second NIC on your PC as long as you only want to access it from that PC. You just have to configure the network manually. The only issue is the NAS will have no access to the internet. I don't know for sure if internet access is a requirement to set it up or not. So, it is possible but not advised. I assume you are wanting to place the NAS near your computer, if that is the case then you can get a small switch and put it near the computer and hook them both to the switch. That is how my network is setup.
I have my wifi router centered in my home and have a CAT6 wire running from it to a gigabit switch where my NAS, PC, printers etc. are located.
staiger

Post by staiger »

Thank you zakspop for your reply.

The I.T. guy will I am sure wire up my network for me in the fashion you use, or something similar I am sure. I am just a little impatient to start using it. The problem is he is on holiday for the next 2 weeks, I could get someone else but he is doing it for free.

It makes sense that it would require internet access so I will have to look into your suggestion. At the moment my computer is connected to my virgin media router via cable to one of the 4 ports on the back of the router. My plan is for the NAS to be again connected to the router via a cat6 cable to one of the other ports on the router. The problem is the router is down in the front room and my computer is upstairs. installation requires drilling through floors and walls.

Thanks for you input.

Regards
Iain

p.s. Which NAS do you have and what do you think of it. Is it reasonably fast and how about fan noise!!!
zakspop

Post by zakspop »

I just have a 202TE. I like it OK. I was a bit bummed when I realized that the reason I got it doesn't work well. That being XBMC. It has issues with audio sync and it is still version 12. I have version 13.2 (which I need for 3D) on my Raspberry Pi now and that works for the time being. As far as fan noise... I dunno. It is down on a shelf across the room. I sometimes hear the HD's being accessed but not the fan. There are other things in the room that create noise so if the fans make noise it is added to all the rest.
staiger

Post by staiger »

Sorry to hear that you have a few problems, I hope you can get them sorted out. The reason I ask about fan noise is I used to use a Sharkoon 5-Bay RAID-Station and the small psu cooling fan made the most annoying noise. I am a complete novice when it comes to networking but it seams these NAS units are fairly easy to set up I hope!! Hopefully be getting the AS-604T in a few days time so I may be back asking the forum members for help again...
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

Hi zakspop, the XBMC version should be 12.3, right? and Is the xbmc, Asportal, x.org, chrome, remote center all the latest one?
orion

Post by orion »

staiger wrote:Thank you zakspop for your reply.

The I.T. guy will I am sure wire up my network for me in the fashion you use, or something similar I am sure. I am just a little impatient to start using it. The problem is he is on holiday for the next 2 weeks, I could get someone else but he is doing it for free.

It makes sense that it would require internet access so I will have to look into your suggestion. At the moment my computer is connected to my virgin media router via cable to one of the 4 ports on the back of the router. My plan is for the NAS to be again connected to the router via a cat6 cable to one of the other ports on the router. The problem is the router is down in the front room and my computer is upstairs. installation requires drilling through floors and walls.

Thanks for you input.

Regards
Iain

p.s. Which NAS do you have and what do you think of it. Is it reasonably fast and how about fan noise!!!
Sounds that you plan to put nas beside your computer or nearby. One simple way is to prepare a giga bit switch (or AP with giga bit ports, it should be very cheap) beside your computer. You can plug the cable (the one on your computer's network port) from virgin media router to one of switch LAN ports. And connect both nas and computer to the switch LAN ports too.
My nas is as-304t which is very quiet. I'm pretty happy with it. ;)
zakspop

Post by zakspop »

Kerry wrote:Hi zakspop, the XBMC version should be 12.3, right? and Is the xbmc, Asportal, x.org, chrome, remote center all the latest one?
Yes, I had the latest versions. I just used 12 because I didn't know the sub-version. I am using 13.2 now on my Raspberry Pi. 13 has built-in 3D support. When I play a 3D movie on my Pi it sends a signal to my TV telling it to switch to 3D. Everything is automatic. When i was using the NAS I had to manually switch my TV to 3D. And if I brought up the on=screen display it was all scrambled. Not on my Pi. It creates a on-screen display for both sides so it overlays the video so it looks great. I only wish it was a bit faster.

Return to “Presales”