Dropbox Update?

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

mdof2
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Dropbox Update?

Post by mdof2 »

Just got this from dropbox via email.
Dear MDof2,

We see that you're running an old version of Dropbox on your computer, 'ASUSTORNAS'. We regularly release new versions with additional features, better performance, and security enhancements.

Next week, we'll be retiring the version you're currently using. Please update your application so that you can continue using Dropbox.
I looked in App Central and don't see any updates. Any word / update from Asustor?
shaurz

Re: Dropbox Update?

Post by shaurz »

I got the same e-mail. I assume if the app is not updated soon it will stop working...
dekez

Post by dekez »

Same here...
jhoneyball

Post by jhoneyball »

HELLO? IS ANYONE THERE?????????

What is going to happen to my dropbox support?
mdof2

Post by mdof2 »

No update as of today in App Central.
Shawn.S@AST

Post by Shawn.S@AST »

Dear Friends, we have not forgotten this and have been working on the update since last Thursday. We got the same update message almost the same time as you. Because the update this time has leap in many versions, it takes more time for the update revision. We hope to provide the update as soon as we can.
mdof2

Post by mdof2 »

Thank you Sir.
shaurz

Post by shaurz »

Shawn.S@AST wrote:Dear Friends, we have not forgotten this and have been working on the update since last Thursday. We got the same update message almost the same time as you. Because the update this time has leap in many versions, it takes more time for the update revision. We hope to provide the update as soon as we can.
That good news that this is being addressed. It seems Dropbox sync has stopped working for me.
Shawn.S@AST

Post by Shawn.S@AST »

Hi, the current dropbox can still work but just that you will receive mail notification from Dropbox. We have come up with the new version last night already and it is still under testing. If you would like to help to give it a test, it is highly appreciated! You can download it from the following:

AS6 series:
http://shawn.myasustor.com:8100/portal/ ... 9uC0Nulmf0

AS-2, 3 series:
http://shawn.myasustor.com:8100/portal/ ... zhUuI9VkR0
Hikari

Post by Hikari »

This kind of situation scares me. Does it mean Dropbox developed new features, and Asustor let its client behind, to the point the version it's based on and its features became deprecated?

Dropbox was kind to not just drop access, but clearly they were upset and wanted the client updated.

One thing is to exist a newer version and user doesn't update it. Another very different is a third party develop its own client and leave it be, outdated and lacking newer features and support.

I appreciate Asustor having the effort to develop features to its NAS. But you can't delay the support for it. Dropbox client had this message in 2014 and barely supports SMB sharing its files. Nobody at all is able to use Subversion server, and all Asustor is able to do is link somebody else's documentation, which doesn't explain how to configure it in our NAS.

What annoys me is that we don't have apt-get, yum or the sorts, neither have gcc so we can compile and install from the source. Therefore, we're totally relying on Asustor to allow us to install apps on our NAS.

I understand NAS isn't a full server, it's just a file server with some extra features, as DB server, web server, etc. Still, some features like EncFS and eCryptFS are missing, and I think they are most needed on a file server.

Return to “DataSync for Dropbox”