Kodi 17 - Black Screen

Kodi (formally known as XBMC) is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub \
Stealth
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Kodi 17 - Black Screen

Post by Stealth »

I just upgraded to the v17 beta and I'm having one problem. Everything seems to work fine, but if I switch my home theatre to another input for a while and come back, I only get a black screen. I can still hear the audio, so it's not locked up, but I can't get the video source back without restarting Kodi.

I'm fairly certain it's due to the input switching.

Anyone else seeing this?
father.mande

Re: Kodi 17 - Black Screen

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Stealth wrote:I just upgraded to the v17 beta and I'm having one problem. Everything seems to work fine, but if I switch my home theatre to another input for a while and come back, I only get a black screen. I can still hear the audio, so it's not locked up, but I can't get the video source back without restarting Kodi.

I'm fairly certain it's due to the input switching.

Anyone else seeing this?
... best is to open a support ticket
... when you switch to other input ... depends of your hardware, the HDMI link is down, so Xorg receive a change (can't read any more EDID), Asportal (aswm) is perhaps going back to the front, but without display (kodi is always running) ... it can put kodi in back but don't display itself (sound device is not impacted)
... similar problem can appear when using a screensaver that are not the asportal screensaver

If you have the Linux skills ... you can try to verify by :
survey Xorg.0.log when you switch
survey aswm.log when you switch
use tool to see any change like xrandr and xdotool (and copied from an Ubuntu system : wmctrl)
... to identify who is active, who get the focus, etc., and, why not, test to put kodi in front for ex.
BUT all of this is to debug and identifying the problem ... not really to solve it

Another, but with extra cost, possibility is to use at back of the NAS an HDMI emulator adapter (with pass-through and cloning EDID to keep same definition (screen and audio)) ... so when you switch, the NAS is not informed, I use this for multiple server (NAS, Linux, Windows) to share a unique HDMI screen (in my labs for my own test) ... this prevent any change on HDMI link ...

BUT at all, in normal use ... this case MUST be managed by the system (generally it's the responsibility (restoring the correct state) of the Windows Manager (Asportal in this case))

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
o0steveo0o

Post by o0steveo0o »

Got same issue. screensaver/powersaving is disabled. when watching normal tv etc after a period of time, go back to asustor/kodi and screen is black, only sound. Restart kodi and working fine.
mchstor

Post by mchstor »

Same issue here. Keep testing different settings to find some combination that works but nothing yet. The only workaround I have is to quit and restart Kodi using the Asustor mobile app. There are some clues in the logs but they haven't helped me find a solution but sharing in case someone else recognizes the issue. Here's what I see repeating over and over...

Code: Select all

12:40:48.268 T:140276380436672   ERROR: CXRandR::Query - unable to open xrandr xml
12:40:48.268 T:140276380436672   ERROR: WinSystemX11::RefreshWindow - failed to query xrandr
12:40:48.579 T:140276380436672 WARNING: CXRandR::Query - output HDMI1 has no current mode, assuming disconnected
12:40:48.579 T:140276380436672   ERROR: WinSystemX11::RefreshWindow - failed to query xrandr
Some quick notes... I have the Asustor AS5002T with a Pulse Eight CEC adapter directly connected to a Sony X930D TV on HDMI 2.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

This point had been discuss for other APKG ... (OpenPHT based on Kodi)
As I know for the moment ... disable asportal screensaver is enough ...
... I am not 100% sure ... because I use HDMI emulator adapter plug with pass-through to have always a "screen" connected s=without change of EDID

Philippe.
TinCanFury

Post by TinCanFury »

yups, same problem here, have to restart KODI to get it back...

it doesn't help that we're running an old version of KODI and the dev's refuse to update it.
jenyay

Post by jenyay »

I wonder if you guys have any luck with support people. They claim that they cannot reproduce.
mchstor

Post by mchstor »

I gave up. I installed LibreElec/Kodi on an older Intel NUC and it's been running well.

It's frustrating. I chose Asustor because of the Kodi support but there are too many issues that waste my time. It's now just simply an expensive NAS for the NUC/Kodi PC.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Same issue here :(
o0steveo0o wrote:Got same issue. screensaver/powersaving is disabled. when watching normal tv etc after a period of time, go back to asustor/kodi and screen is black, only sound. Restart kodi and working fine.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

In ALL CASE, here or when you contact helpdesk ... please provide full information :

Movie used with codecs, containers and all about (frame rate, etc.)
provide Xorg log and kodi log
provide also asportal log if you think it's linked ...

WITHOUT ... no chance to understand a "it don't works ... " thousand of reason can explain a "it's don't works" but less if we have information to understand ...

for Kodi log ... don't forgot to add value in advancedsettings.xml to have maximum information

Kodi is a complex player interacting with lot of other peace of software provide by Asustor ... so it's not like in a proprietary closed O.S. like Windows or a very limited hardware list like in a raspberryPi
last ADM is a Linux but NOT a standard distribution with integrated package management more a good depends management ...

Philippe.

Return to “Kodi”