Kodi 17 - Black Screen

Kodi (formally known as XBMC) is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub \
jenyay
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Kodi 17 - Black Screen

Post by jenyay »

I have a workaround which works great for me. I disabled Asustor portal and Kodi in "App Central" and I manually started `/volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/kodi/run_kodi.sh`. It is running now for a week with no black screen.
Data_Dan

Post by Data_Dan »

I did a clean install of v17.3 and I get the same black screen issue.
Stealth

Post by Stealth »

I kinda forgot about this issue for a while. I downgraded back to v16 for a couple of months while v17 was still in beta. Now that v17.3 is out I took the plunge and upgraded... now I'm back to getting this same issue again.

Someone mentioned disabling the screensaver in ASUSTOR Portal. I had already done that, no effect on this issue.

I'll try some other things and see if I can get a log from XOrg and Kodi.
Stealth

Post by Stealth »

Meh, I give up. I was hoping that locking in the resolution in ASUSTOR Portal might help. I tried uninstalling and re-installing everything down to Xorg. I've got nowhere.

I'm switching to OpenPHT since I run a Plex server anyway.
dkobelak

Post by dkobelak »

I'm not sure about anyone's setup but in my case I experience this issue on my as5104 that is connected through a receiver... every time I turn off the receiver while kodi is running I get the black screen after turning the receiver back on and I have to restart kodi.. I do not experience this issue on my other asustor NAS which is connected directly to a TV..
AS-5104T running stock memory;RAID 5 - 4x3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300;BIOS: v1.21 - ADM: 4.0.4.RQO2
AS-6204T running stock memory;RAID 5 - 3x8TB Seagate Ironwolf ST8000VN0022;BIOS: v2.23 - ADM: 4.0.4.RQO2
jenyay

Post by jenyay »

dkobelak wrote:I'm not sure about anyone's setup but in my case I experience this issue on my as5104 that is connected through a receiver... every time I turn off the receiver while kodi is running I get the black screen after turning the receiver back on and I have to restart kodi.. I do not experience this issue on my other asustor NAS which is connected directly to a TV..
Yeah, you right! Same with me - it happens only when plugged via receiver.
agadoc

Post by agadoc »

jenyay wrote:
dkobelak wrote:I'm not sure about anyone's setup but in my case I experience this issue on my as5104 that is connected through a receiver... every time I turn off the receiver while kodi is running I get the black screen after turning the receiver back on and I have to restart kodi.. I do not experience this issue on my other asustor NAS which is connected directly to a TV..
Yeah, you right! Same with me - it happens only when plugged via receiver.
Sorry for my engligh, i'm french.
I fixed the "black screen" issue by switching all video and audio output devices to "default HDMI".

Let me explain :
i have 2 ouptut options in Video :
- Hdmi

i have 4 output options in Audio :
- Deflaut (HDA Intel PCH HDMI 1)
- HDA Intel PCH HDMI 1
- S/PDIF
- HDA Intel PCH GSM LG TV on HDMI

When i select HDMI (in Video) and LG TV on HMDI (in Audio), i have the black screen issue while kodi is running after turning off the receiver or while i switching bettween TV and NAS. I have to restart Kodi same as you. (Audio works, but not video)

When i select Default (in video) and Deflaut (HDA Intel PCH HDMI 1) (in Audio), no black screen issue whith the same manipulations.

That's my solution to fix this "black screen" issue on kodi 17.6, AS6102T and RX-V583 Receiver.
jenyay

Post by jenyay »

Thanks for sharing. You have those settings in receiver, right?
agadoc

Post by agadoc »

No this is kodi's 17.6 settings.
jenyay

Post by jenyay »

I have those set to `Default` and still have black screen. May be it is something specific to a receiver. Thanks again for sharing.

Return to “Kodi”