IR remote support

Kodi (formally known as XBMC) is an award-winning free and open source (GPL) software media player and entertainment hub \

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

indyjones
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

IR remote support

Post by indyjones »

Hi all,

I have a quick question regarding IR remote support with Kodi on a Asustor 3102T please.
Currently I am using the Asustor remote profile on my Logitech harmony, however I does not have many functions (for playback) and annoyingly, the okay and back functions act as mouse inputs so bring up the cursor.
Does the Asustor accept any other remotes for example the windows media remote? Or is there another way of increasing infrared remote functionality?

Thank you
RMerlin

Re: IR remote support

Post by RMerlin »

Some Media Center Remotes are actually wireless keyboards in disguise, sending keyboard keys. This makes them compatible with Kodi and Asustor.

I have such a remote at home. I plugged the USB interface on the NAS, and programmed my Logitech Harmony to reproduce that remote. Unfortunately I don't remember the model of the remote I used (I'm not at home to check at the moment).

By using such a remote and customizing Kodi's keymap.xml, I was able to get access to almost every functions I wanted (there were more than enough keys to remap).
indyjones

Post by indyjones »

Great thank you, if you could look up the remote you used that would be great
RMerlin

Post by RMerlin »

It's an Ortek VRC-1100.

http://www.ebay.com/p/Vista-WinXP-Win7- ... 1029819541

Those are fairly popular with HTPC/media center users due to the fact it mimics a keyboard rather than require an RC6 driver. You can find them on eBay, Amazon, etc... It's compatible with Logitech Harmony, so you can program both the Asustor's power button, and the various Ortek buttons for everything else.
sganti

Post by sganti »

For me, the Logitech Harmony works with the main screen of ASUS Portal page, but not in any application such as Kodi or YouTube. How do we configure the system so that these applications also receive IR remote codes?
RMerlin

Post by RMerlin »

sganti wrote:For me, the Logitech Harmony works with the main screen of ASUS Portal page, but not in any application such as Kodi or YouTube. How do we configure the system so that these applications also receive IR remote codes?
The receiver I listed will work, because it emulates a USB keyboard - Kodi is fully controllable by keyboard, so you can easily map keys to the Harmony.

Return to “Kodi”