Can't expand volume

edge306
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Can't expand volume

Post by edge306 »

Hopefully somebody can help.... I have an AS5104T running ADM 3.0.5.RDU1. Until a couple of days ago this contained 4x WD Red disks (1x4TB, 1x2TB, 2x3TB) set up in a RAID5 array with a single storage pool/volume (5.40TB). (I know it's best to use disks of the same capacity, which is what I'm trying to work up to, just dont have the means to do it right now). I pulled the 2TB disk out and replaced it with another 4TB disk, however when it had finished rebuilding the volume (after a manual reboot), the capacity remains at 5.4TB so I've gained nothing by doubling the size of one of the disks at a cost of £110. Without deleting the volume completely and starting again (I don't fancy trying to back up 5TB of data onto external disks manually first!), can I do something which will enable this extra capacity? I'm pretty sure I did the same thing a few months ago when upgrading the first 2TB disk to 4TB and doing do increased the total capacity automatically. Very confused and more than a little concerned...... thanks guys!
orion

Re: Can't expand volume

Post by orion »

After you replaced the old 2TB disk and NAS rebuilt successfully, did you see a new button "Expand Capacity" under Storage Manager? If yes and you pressed the button but nothing happened, you'd better to send a support request to asustor. https://support.asustor.com/
edge306

Post by edge306 »

Thanks orion. Yes, I saw the Expand Capacity button was there, pressed it and saw it was rebuilding the volume (again!) and that it was estimated to take about 3 hours, which finished overnight. When I checked the next day, no extra capacity. I raised a support ticket yesterday with them, not that I'm hopeful of a reply..... :-(

I just don't know how I'd start to try to back up the existing 5TB both in terms of where to put it and how long it'd take to complete.....
edge306

Post by edge306 »

As expected, no response from tech support so far. Tried stopping all apps, logging into ADM and clicking expand volume button again.... nothing. Getting quite annoyed now as I suspect this is a bug introduced with the new ADM as I'm not the only person to report it and I previously easily upgraded a 2TB disk to 4TB using the same method and not even having to click the expand volume button....
Stealth

Post by Stealth »

I'm seeing the same thing upgrading from 4x 2TB drives to 4x 4TB drives. I followed the instructions and replaced each drive followed by a sync, then the expand volume button appears... but after clicking it and waiting for the expansion process to finish the volume is the same size.

Did you find a solution?
edge306

Post by edge306 »

I did, but only after making the mistake of getting into contact with Asustor tech support who told me to open up ports on the server which were quickly jumped into by loads of spammers, etc and before I knew it I was getting emails from my ISP telling me I was sending out loads of spam/DoS attacks. So DON'T make the same mistake. After that, sadly the only option was to manually back everything up from the server onto external disks and trash the whole lot and start again. I had to delete the volume and basically install and format all four drives from scratch then copy everything back up to the server. One tip is to use the backup software on the server to do this, as it's much quicker to restore using it than via Windows file copy. Good luck!!

Return to “[Official] For AS50xx/51xx Series”