Can't rename External USB devices connected to NAS after ADM 3.0.0R8N2 update

greig2000uk
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Can't rename External USB devices connected to NAS after ADM 3.0.0R8N2 update

Post by greig2000uk »

Since ADM version 3.0.0R8N2 update I am unable to rename both my external USB devices, the ADM update decided to rename my USB1 device to USB41 and my USB2 device to USB5 and there is no way to rename.

any suggestions please?

thanks
orion

Re: Can't rename External USB devices connected to NAS after ADM 3.0.0R8N2 update

Post by orion »

I think we can only send them a feature request for it. If it's a bug, we should push them harder to fix problem. But...
greig2000uk

Re: Can't rename External USB devices connected to NAS after ADM 3.0.0R8N2 update

Post by greig2000uk »

Hi orion,
I don't think being able to name a drive is a feature, I would say its a fundamental part of any operating system, in this case a broken system.

But... but what?

Given the help I have received from Asustor so far which is none I don't think "we" will be pushing anyone for a fix, their "Support Centre" just seems to be a dumping ground for complaints to be ignored.
There are lots of ADM 3 problems on this forum and none have been fixed, no ADM updates or patches, it might have the asustor domain name address but the staff are ghosts, sadly no staff have been active in years! :(
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

The staff have had periods of inactivity before, but this is the longest it's gone in a while. I sent a message to a couple of my contacts, in the hopes that we can get an answer as to what's going on.

I must say this: I'm a little concerned with the silence we've been hearing lately. I hope it's just because they are busy fixing things.
orion

Post by orion »

greig2000uk wrote: But... but what?
I mean it's hard to say that it's a bug. After all, the external USB device can still be accessed although it's a different shared name. I know, from end user point of view, we cannot access those files because shared folder name changed. That's actually my desire (to keep the same name). But, when we re-connect to NAS with the changed name, we can still access those files. That's what I mean.
greig2000uk

Post by greig2000uk »

thanks for clarification orion,

yes we can access the external device shares but only with samba, NFS is broken too. There would appear to be a problem with the whole external devices set up in ADM 3 now, also I have had to move my shared folders to my internal drives temporarily so I can use NFS, and even that has problems, seems my streaming boxes which scan the internal drives shares to then go online and scrape film and TV information cant save pictures to the folders. This is a major problem and one that will make me migrate to a proper NAS, infuriating seeing as all everyone really needs here is the option to go back to the previous ADM which worked.
greig2000uk

Post by greig2000uk »

New ADM update available but still no option to name external USB devices
cagincamli

Post by cagincamli »

Hi,

I am having the same trouble here. Could any of you let us know if support offers a solution. It is ridiculus not to be able rename extarnal drives's shared name. I lost track of my files. I have to check all my ex drives when I need something.

I hope this can be solved soon..
greig2000uk

Post by greig2000uk »

No solution or input from support, they are quite arrogant in the lack of communication we as consumers receive - $ is there main goal not customer satisfaction :(
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

cagincamli wrote:Hi,.....I have to check all my ex drives when I need something.
I hope this can be solved soon..
I used this a long time before : https://www.whereisit-soft.com/ ;)

But in fact, I do not understand your problem : with or without custom label, you will get access to content only once it is mounted.

Identifying the external disks with a label affixed to them is the only way to identify them before they are connected. And once mounted, path is obvious: the one with "USB" inside...

Return to “[Official] For AS50xx/51xx Series”