New ADM version broke External Device NFS shares

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

greig2000uk
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

New ADM version broke External Device NFS shares

Post by greig2000uk »

Hi,
Since I updated to the new ADM version 3.0.0R8N2 I am unable to share my media stored on both my "External Devices" attached to the NAS using NFS (portable drives WD Elements 2TB + WD My Passport 4TB USB3). I use a media streamer (Mede8er MED600X3D) to access my USB portable drives using NFS and had no problems before the update, now I can't even set a shared folder on "Access Control > External Devices using NFS" (fine on internal devices) I get an error which is "Unknown error (Ref. 5016) and have tried everything trying to get it to work with no luck. I know I can use samba but prefer NFS. Has this feature been changed for any particular reason or is it a bug that needs looked at?

Asustor support is non existent under my ticket 17591, I had 1 reply asking for a health record which I sent right away and have heard nothing back, that was nearly 2 weeks ago

anyone have thoughts on this?
orion

Re: New ADM version broke External Device NFS shares

Post by orion »

Well, I did not notice this bug because I did not enable NFS before. I just did a try and got the same issue. I'll write a support ticket to asustor too. I think you can reply your ticket to ask for their responses again.
greig2000uk

Post by greig2000uk »

Thanks orion,

I did reply and eventually got this
I'm sorry for late response.
For the issue mentioned, we are currently having issue with NFS sharing on USB drive.
The issue was reported to our engineer team and they are doing their best to fix it.
My apology for the inconvenience.

Please don't be hesitate to contact if you got further question.

Best regards.
Jack Ni
Technical Support Department
Tel: +886-2-7737-0888 #3903
Fax:+886-2-7737-0899
ASUSTOR Inc.,
I also replied to that asking how I would find out when and if a fix was ready and the usual method of applying (ADM update or remotely applied), haven't heard back from this either so I am not holding out much hope for a fix any time soon, maybe your ticket will get further than mine....

What's your, or anyone else's experience of Asustor fixing problems of this nature?

thanks
Antonios

Post by Antonios »

I'll tell you my general view on such subjects.

Don't rely on any developer to fix anything broken by an update.

What they will do, eventually, is produce another update that may or may not fix what you need fixed, also may break lots of other things that needn't be broken in the first place.

This is what developers do, they constantly develop things that most time don't need any developing at all cause they are working fine already.

But it's their job, what else they're gonna do?

My personal take of this is to find one (preferably older, lightweight) version that works as I need it to work, that is all essential elements to me are not broken and stick with that.

Only time I would risk updating is if some feature which I need to be working, isn't working and the update promises to make it work, so I take the chance of all the other things that will get broken and give this update a try.

But then again, if something critical to me wasn't working in the current version of things, then I wouldn't be buying this particular brand, cause I do not trust developers promising that this simple, minor, easy thing will be working in the next version, so if it is so simple and easy why is it not working right now? As I said I do not trust developers.

This has nothing to do with Asustor, it is a general thing, there are multitudes of examples all over the industry, but I'll mention just one, old timers surely remember Windows XP, what was the story with that? It turned out too good to improve, so for starters let's mess it up real good and then let's try all ways imaginable to convince or to force users to stop using it and upgrade to something else. Well, that didn't go so well, obviously, cause most users wouldn't want to exchange something proven that works right now, for something else that needs double or triple the hardware to not work. As a last resort, in really expensive versions of that 'something else' they included a free XP license as by that time the had figured out what it was that users wanted and needed in the real world version of things and not in the imaginary world of developers, managers and advertisers.

Anyways, long story short, I have been watching this over the last 40 years or so, once there was a time when software was built to last and to perform properly but this time has long gone, never to return. Too many developers around to allow it to return imho.

Nowadays users of younger age in particular are all but addicted to install 'new' versions of everything, 'update', 'upgrade' all the time, also are used to the fact that any current version has some nagging bugs but the 'next' version is gonna fix this and so on and so forth.

This keeps millions of developers all over the world occupied, doing what they were supposed to be doing, that is if the world was supposed to be needing that many developers constantly developing over and over the same basic things bloating them up in each concurrent version while the users try to make these versions actually work in real life.

All of this is interconnected with 'required' hardware upgrades as well, but this is for another day and another discussion.

For a somewhat more scientific explanation, look up 'planned obsolescence'.

Just my 2c.
greig2000uk

Post by greig2000uk »

you seem a tad sceptical of the world Antonios :D
orion

Post by orion »

greig2000uk wrote: I also replied to that asking how I would find out when and if a fix was ready and the usual method of applying (ADM update or remotely applied), haven't heard back from this either so I am not holding out much hope for a fix any time soon, maybe your ticket will get further than mine....

What's your, or anyone else's experience of Asustor fixing problems of this nature?

thanks
I got the same reply from asustor. Waiting for their fix.
greig2000uk

Post by greig2000uk »

Well I am surprised, ADM update available - Asustor fixed the NFS issue on external devices, I'll be checking it out tonight to see if all is well...
greig2000uk

Post by greig2000uk »

And it does indeed fix the NFS issue :)

Return to “[Official] For AS50xx/51xx Series”