AS-U2.5G Unable to obtain Ethernet interface information (Ref. 5802)

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

decarabas
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS-U2.5G Unable to obtain Ethernet interface information (Ref. 5802)

Post by decarabas »

So I've bought an AS-U2.5G network adapter (or two to be precise) and it doesn't work with my AS5110T Asustor NAS.

Full story for those interested posted below. If you have any advice as to how to solve this I would greatly appreciate it.

After plugging the AS-U2.5G into my AS5110T the device wasn't visible in the Network \ Network Interface settings so I rebooted the NAS.
After reboot the AS-U2.5G was visible (interface EXTLAN1) and I configured it with a static IP, MTU 9000 and a VLAN ID.
At this point GUI was accessible via the newly configured IP. In General settings I set default gateway to EXTLAN1.

However after a reboot the device configuration disappeared from the Network \ Network Interface settings and the NAS was only accessible by the previously configured interfaces (LAN 1+2+3+4 link aggregation).
Now, when I click on the Network \ Network Interface settings i keep getting 'Unable to obtain Ethernet interface information (Ref. 5802)' and there is no configuration in the EXTLAN1 interface (all fields are blank).
After getting the error I changed the default gateway back to the aggregation.

Further reboots change nothing and I keep getting 'Unable to obtain Ethernet interface information (Ref. 5802)'

I tried to plug in a second AS-U2.5G but the network adapter isn't showing up in the Asustor Network \ Network Interface settings at all.
Does anyone know whether Asustor AS5110T supports multiple AS-U2.5G units?

I submitted a support ticket on November 5th and only got a reply to provide remote access via EZ Connect (which I provided on the 7th) but haven't heard from Asustor representatives since.
Anyone knows how long does it usually take them to diagnose / troubleshoot such issues?

I've searched the forums for topics related to 5802 but didn't find anything helpful.
Any suggestions or advice on the issue would be very welcome.
orion

Re: AS-U2.5G Unable to obtain Ethernet interface information (Ref. 5802)

Post by orion »

It sounds like internal configuration data issue. I have no comments about it because I don't own this device. However I'll suggest you to reply the same ticket again to remind them. I usually get responses within 3-4 days. If I provide remote access information, they will normally check it within 1 day. I can ask them when they will do remote access in the ticket.
By the way, you can leave the ticket number here. Someone from asustor might be able to track the ticket process.
decarabas

Post by decarabas »

So, I managed to get the AS-U2.5G "working" via CLI commands, but just like before the configuration disappears when I unplug the adapter, reboot the NAS and when the NAS resumes from sleep.
I don't know where in ADM the config to get those settings to persist are kept (in which files, scripts?) so would be greatful for any help on that.
As I didn't get any more communication from anyone from Asustor I'm posting the ticket number #31215 in hopes that someone will see it, and gives a shit about this issue.

For those interested commands that were needed to get it to "work" are below. I've done this on 2 adapters (eth4 and eth5) and it's pretty straight forward:

ifconfig eth4 up
vconfig add eth4 [vlan id]
ifconfig eth4.[vlan id] [ip] netmask [netmask] broadcast [broadcast] up
ifconfig eth4 mtu [mtu]
ifconfig eth4.3 mtu [mtu]
ethtool -s eth4 advertise [speed/duplex]
ethtool -r eth4

I've encountered 2 more problems dealing with this issue and the information may be of use to some of You (if you're planning on getting the AS-U2.5G and encounter this problem):
1. With manual config the AS-U2.5G didn't advertise 2.5G FD, so it would only work on 1G FD as my switch doesn't advertise 2.5G FD either (on its 2.5G ports no less). The final 2 commands above are to get it to advertise it. The [speed/duplex] is in hex values in the command syntax. Advertising 2.5G FD and 1G FD and 100M FD would be like 8028 in that notation so: ethtool -s eth4 advertise 8028
2. The USB C to USB A adapter needs to be USB 3.0 (obviously) but I got a Baseus adapter advertised as USB 3.0 (which it is not) and it only managed like 20MB/s speeds. I got a Delock USB 3.1 adapter and an XLayer USB 3.1 adapter and the both work fine (so make sure it's actually 3.0).

Needless to say im pretty disillusioned by Asustor communication and support on this.
I was hoping to get the AS-7110T when it came out, but now im not so sure.
decarabas

Post by decarabas »

Ok I made a script to configure this at startup thanks to the [HOW TO] topic.
Now all I need is a way to run this script when the NAS resumes from sleep. Any thoughts?
I've found a topic on the forum asking this exact question (i.e. running a script on resume from sleep) unfortunately it has no replies.
orion

Post by orion »

I just sent this forum link to asustor support. Hope they can help you.
Last edited by orion on Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wonderbread

Post by wonderbread »

Not sure if this is the "correct" method, but putting a script in /volume1/.@plugins/etc/init.d/ using the convention P00scriptname.sh will work (where ## determines order on resume).
decarabas

Post by decarabas »

Just a quick update.
My support ticket was finally resolved. Yay! /s
But to be serious, Asustor guys just closed the ticket without providing any kind solution or even contacting me at all.
Ideally I'd go on a rant here but I'll take their approach and just ask myself why even bother.

@wonderbread I've put my script in /usr/local/etc/init.d/ which seems to be symlink to /volume1/.@plugins/etc/init.d/ named the script S98scriptname.sh but it only executes at startup not on resume from sleep. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Final thoughts. My next NAS will definitely NOT be Asustor, even though their features to price ratio is awesome.

Anyone here have any experiences (good or bad) with Qnap or Synology. Any information would be helpful.

And again thanks for all the help. Without the infomation on these forums I would be totally nowhere on this issue.

Return to “[Official] For AS50xx/51xx Series”