AS5004T won't boot

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

mazaq
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS5004T won't boot

Post by mazaq »

Hi, I have problem with my unit

Today when I woke up after night I heard that my Asustor fan is going full speed very loud.
I log in to control center and it worked fine, I have checked some warnings etc and no errors was provided. HDD temperatures was ok. Everyting looked ok, but this loud fan.
So I did software restart.
Since this point device is dead.
At first only blue led was on and ethernet leds. Green led was not even blinking.
I've tried puling disks out.
I've noticed that when device is on and I put in disk, it gets power and start spinning, but that is all
So i pulled all disks out again and now situation when I turn asustor on is:

- only ethernet leds are on, main blue and green leds are now off
- usb green led is on while I press usb button
- no hdmi output entire time
- device is silent without disks - no fan is running
- I checked power supply gives 12V (but it is voltage without current load

I'm afraid it is connected with some kind of bios or motherboard failure.
What else can I check myself?
I'm from Poland, is there some place to fix my unit?

Extra question:
Is it possible to buy used AS1004T model and just use disks from AS5004T? It is cheaper than repair service :(
Nazar78

Re: AS5004T won't boot

Post by Nazar78 »

I log in to control center and it worked fine, I have checked some warnings etc and no errors was provided. HDD temperatures was ok. Everyting looked ok, but this loud fan.
Did you check if the disk/volume contents is ok before rebooting?
- no hdmi output entire time
Not sure for your model but on mine, there's a momentary "insyde" logo on the screen upon booting. During this time, hitting the "ESC" key few times it will go into the UEFI BIOS where you can boot into bootable USB and such. If you've seen this before and now there's nothing then it could be the mobo or firmware issue.
- I checked power supply gives 12V (but it is voltage without current load
Could also be the power supply failing, the voltage will drop if there's load but usually you won't be able to turn on the device without sufficient voltage. A wattage meter could tell this if you have one or those smart plugs that reports power usage.
I'm from Poland, is there some place to fix my unit?
Try asking the Poland distributor https://www.asustor.com/sv-SE/service/w ... ountry=140.
Extra question:
Is it possible to buy used AS1004T model and just use disks from AS5004T? It is cheaper than repair service :(
Looks like no but I may be wrong, https://www.asustor.com/online/College_ ... 343&lan=en, so it's best to ask Asustor Support, https://www.asustor.com/en/about/contact_us. Whatever it is if your data is still intact (my first question above), you can always recover the data by mounting the disks to a Linux box, requires some knowledge to assemble the RAID array (4th partition of the disks) using mdadm, then mount and copy the data elsewhere. On some modern Linux system, it should automatically mount the data for you provided mdadm is installed.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
mazaq

Post by mazaq »

Thanks for reply.
As I said before I'm quite sure it is motherboard problem. I took device to local notebook service. This guy was not NAS expert, but his opinion is that this Adata flash module is failed and motherboard is ok. But device is not trying to boot, not for a second.
And as I said NAS was running perfecty and I believe it wolud run next 3 months, but I did software reboot, so this flash module sounds probable.
Is it possible to buy?

PS: I'm little moron. I put stickers with numbers 1,2,3,4 on each HDD, but after few hours I'm not very sure I did it from left to right or right to left :D. Well, fortunatelly I have 2 options, not 24 like people who mix up their disks :)

According to data recovery: I don't have interface or 8TB of free disk space to make backup :/.

I have to look for similar device :/

EDIT:
I've checked DOM module (which I called previously flash module what is correct :P). It seems that this module have basically USB interface so I made cable and I connected it to PC. Device was not recognized - I expected see it as pendrive :D. Do you know how healthy module works?
Another question: healthy asustor without DOM module displays anything after turning on? Some leds flashes? Some beeps? Or is dead like rock (or like my unit :))?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Is it possible to buy?
Should be, just make sure the header pins fit and have the same or larger storage space, 4GB? However continue reading below...
I put stickers with numbers 1,2,3,4 on each HDD, but after few hours I'm not very sure I did it from left to right or right to left :D. Well, fortunatelly I have 2 options, not 24 like people who mix up their disks :)
The order doesn't matter as the system will auto detect.
According to data recovery: I don't have interface or 8TB of free disk space to make backup :/.
For recovery, you don't have to save all the 8TB. Just copy important stuffs from your volume1 to maybe the host PC, a portable USB HDD or even over the LAN.
I've checked DOM module (which I called previously flash module what is correct :P). It seems that this module have basically USB interface so I made cable and I connected it to PC. Device was not recognized - I expected see it as pendrive :D. Do you know how healthy module works?
Another question: healthy asustor without DOM module displays anything after turning on? Some leds flashes? Some beeps? Or is dead like rock (or like my unit :))?
I have a different model which uses eMMC soldered to the board. On the system level, I can still boot the NAS when the eMMC is disabled in the BIOS (UEFI), but that leads to a different issue where I can't enable it back without reflashing the UEFI.

So your NAS should also boot without the DOM, only that it can't read the NAS firmware which lives in the DOM. If the DOM is faulty which prevents the NAS from booting, try disconnecting the DOM if you can see if it boots (i.e. you can see something on the HDMI output and can get into the BIOS). I don't have your model but I believe you can actually plug in a USB header to USB A female connector adapter cable and use a USB flash stick/drive that has a similar size as your DOM or larger. Then preparing the USB flash stick/drive is another thing, easiest is to find the image dump from another similar model NAS, or manually create it from the Asustor firmware download (need to know your model disk/partition layout, mine should be different from yours).

Code: Select all

mmcblk0      179:0    0   3.5G  0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1  179:1    0     2M  0 part
├─mmcblk0p2  179:2    0   244M  0 part
└─mmcblk0p3  179:3    0   244M  0 part
mmcblk0boot0 179:8    0     2M  0 disk
mmcblk0boot1 179:16   0     2M  0 disk
Note there should be another /dev/mmcblk0rpmb on the DOM, a "Replay Protected Memory Block", which I have no idea how to deal with it on the Asustor NAS and it's meant to be written only once by the manufacturer (serial number?) or any impact on the system. Haven't gone into that level. Best is to ask Asustor Support for help. Worst case scenario if you're still able to boot but cannot figure out the DOM, is to switch to a different OS like TrueNAS other than ADM, you still can recover your data though if your RAID array is fine.

ps: I don't have your model so somethings I've mentioned could be inaccurate. Perhaps someone knowledgeable with the same model can advise further.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
mazaq

Post by mazaq »

My device without DOM behaves the same way:
- no blue power light and no green operation light
- ethernet led on front is on when cable connecter, leds on back too, one is even flashing
- pushing usb buton causes blue light
- motherboard is not completely dead because power button works.If I hold power button, it will turn off front leds (usb and ethernet). So device is able to do something like turning off and on. But fan is not spinning and nothing is happening:(
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Erm maybe a bad ram stick? Try reseating them. You any spare ram to test? The laptop shop tested the ram for you? Try remove/disconnect everything including the ram then power on. IIRC you'll hear onboard speaker (if you have one) beeping POST codes if you boot without the RAM sticks. This indicates it's not totally bricked, something else is preventing the POST. Actually few checks should have been done before you attempt to restart it the other time. Like disks contents/temperature, CPU temperature and especially kernel logs (from the SSH terminal not the ADM portal). But I know it's too late for that.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

mazaq

Post by mazaq »

Nazar78 wrote:The order doesn't matter as the system will auto detect.
Are you sure about that?
Nazar78 wrote:Erm maybe a bad ram stick? Try reseating them. You any spare ram to test? The laptop shop tested the ram for you? Try remove/disconnect everything including the ram then power on. IIRC you'll hear onboard speaker (if you have one) beeping POST codes if you boot without the RAM sticks. This indicates it's not totally bricked, something else is preventing the POST. Actually few checks should have been done before you attempt to restart it the other time. Like disks contents/temperature, CPU temperature and especially kernel logs (from the SSH terminal not the ADM portal). But I know it's too late for that.
I am pretty sure I tried booting with no RAM. I have 2 RAM boards and I tried putting out and in.
Looks lika serious problem I'm afraid.

Similar models are extremally rare. Situation is tricky. I have offer from some company which repairs NAS servers. ~$200 if they will rapair it or $50 for diagnosis if they fail. And they could fail because they are not experts in asustor. There is literally ONE 4-disk used asustor AS6 series on internet in Poland for $400. I bought my used with all disks from my friend for less money :(. No AS5 series is available, only some AS1.
So im waiting...
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

mazaq wrote:Are you sure about that?
Similar to other systems, the array gets assembled using the superblock metadata on the partitions. So the order doesn't matter but it's best to label the slots and disks for easier identification.
mazaq wrote:I am pretty sure I tried booting with no RAM. I have 2 RAM boards and I tried putting out and in.
1. Find a spare ram to test?
2. Hear any beeps powering on without the ram?
3. Tried single stick, each stick and each time on a different slot?
4. Doesn't hurt but try unplugging the fan?

Can't think of anything else. Maybe others can chime in. Think it's best for you to contact Asustor Support see if they can advise further.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

mazaq

Post by mazaq »

Nazar78 wrote:Can't think of anything else. Maybe others can chime in. Think it's best for you to contact Asustor Support see if they can advise further.
Of course I'm in touch with support, but restore from pendrive failed so far. I recorded short video: https://streamable.com/nqnt75

I had an idea of buying other model like AS6102T (they are avaliable in used market and relatively cheap) and take its motherboard. I thought that maybe motherboards are similar in 2 and 4 disk models. This AS6102T has identical ports layout. But I know that this is very unlikely to work :).
EDIT: I've checked and 2 and 4 disk models have different mainboards :)
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

mazaq wrote:I recorded short video: https://streamable.com/nqnt75
Looks like a malfunctioned board I'm afraid.
Nazar78 wrote:I've checked and 2 and 4 disk models have different mainboards
Yes they are different due to the CPU, also one has the LCD not the other. If you're adventurous, you can try hoping that the SATA connector match. Worst case is just to transfer the two HDDs from the faulty AS5004T to the AS6102T as they're of the same architecture, probably just a slight software mod to make it recognize your old disks.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “[Official] For AS50xx/51xx Series”