Help needed - AS5304T not hibernating/suspending

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

dizzyfish
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Help needed - AS5304T not hibernating/suspending

Post by dizzyfish »

Hi - I have an AS5304T running ADM 4.1.0.RLQ1. I currently have 2 x 12 Tb Seagate Ironwolf Pro disks in RAID 1 configuration, and an external 12Tb Seagate Expansion USB disk connected (for external backups).

The Asustor does not seem to ever hibernate/suspend.... the energy control settings are set to go into hibernation mode after 30 mins of inactivity. But the internal disks seem to spin constantly (and I can hear clicks/chirps more or less constantly). The only apps I have installed are Plex (I havent added any new media for a long time), and the Ironwolf health app.

Hoping for some help?
Nazar78

Re: Help needed - AS5304T not hibernating/suspending

Post by Nazar78 »

1. As long as you have apps running the disks won't probably go to sleep depending on their activities. You can use the hibernation log tool to troubleshoot but I noticed using this alone it does not help much.

2. Devices accessing the NAS via shared folders also could potentially wake the disks or preventing them going to sleep.

3. If you have lots of media, the indexing is probably running as you said the disks seems busy. Try organize your schedules (maintenance/indexing/crontabs/backups) to point to a specific concentrated period such as midnight so the rest of the time the disks could go to sleep.

4. I also noticed the disks will wakeup if you try to access the ADM web portal, but not the ADM Android app though unless you make any changes to the system. This will also prevent the disks going to sleep if you keep the web portal opened.

5. The OS, apps, tmp, logs, swapfile etc. all resides on the disks itself on separate partitions. Unless you use a dedicated SSD or NVMe (if supported) as the main volume to run the OS/apps, there's higher chances the disks will not have time to spin down. Unfortunately there's no easy way to swap to SSD without re-initialization and potentially lose data unless you mod it manually.

Based on the above which I've done quite extensive troubleshooting myself, tracing the root cause and several mods done, all my disks (4 internal, 4 external) are well tamed now despite having lots of apps running. My tmp and logs has been relocated to RAM (tmpfs). Swapfile disabled as I have 16GB which is sufficient. OS and apps modded to run on an external SSD. All these done automatically at boot. I frankly went abit overboard although satisfactory (keeps heat and energy low) but point #5 should solve most of the issue.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
dizzyfish

Post by dizzyfish »

I have had a look at the hibernation log - and did notice a couple of WRITEs for "PMS GTP" and "PMS hhtpClientC" - no idea what that is about.

I also noticed in the tasks the following processes "magick", "python", "plex", "guarddogd" and "emboardmand" seem to crop up when things are idle.

I do have wake-on-lan and wake-on-wan enabled - perhaps I should disable these?

No PC connections, all services are disabled, literally should be nothing going on... my old AS202TE was set up exactly the same, and that used to hibernate the disks all the time. I've had the AS5304T up and running for a week now, and the internal disk lights have been on all of the time.... that can't be right can it? I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the disk(s), I already had to RMA one of them... I did a bad block check (which took over 12 hours to complete!!!!?) and that didn't find anything, but the disks make some crazy noises which doesn't sound good (like metal on metal grinding)
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

"magick"
That's the indexing process producing the thumbnails. Sometimes such processes can go berserk and fall into infinite loop when they fail to process some media. If you don't need them (usually for apps like Asustor's LooksGood or its Android AiData), just disable at the Settings, Scheduling.
"PMS GTP" and "PMS hhtpClientC", "python", "plex"
Should belong to Plex Media Server, try disabling Plex to troubleshoot.
"guarddogd" and "emboardmand"
These are system processes the ones you see with ending "*d" which denote as daemons. Usually they're just doing their stuffs without necessarily waking the disks.
I do have wake-on-lan and wake-on-wan enabled - perhaps I should disable these?
Depend on your intentions, I will usually have this enabled even on all my home devices, e.g. I have some setups like "OK Google, turn on my PC/laptop" when I need to access them from outside and they're hibernating. WOL usually wakes the whole device while in S3 sleep mode, and no it's not related at all with waking the disks or preventing them going to sleep.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
dizzyfish

Post by dizzyfish »

I have disabled Plex. Also tried to disable the thumbnail generation (Magick?), by going to settings -> Scheduling -> Thumbnails and making all hours on every day into peak hours. I then restarted the NAS and waited 10 mins or so for things to settle down. Definitely less disk activity, but Magick is still running (probably the only process running). The disk lights are now going off, but switching on regularly every 10 seconds or so.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Probably a bug or queue backlog in the indexing process I'm not sure as I've not been using it since day 1. You could open a case ticket with Asustor Support.

If you're sure that you really don't need this feature, a dirty trick is to rename the process i.e.

Code: Select all

sudo mv /usr/builtin/bin/magick /usr/builtin/bin/magick.bak
Then reboot or kill the process. Note this could affect some Asustor processes that's dependant to it, which I don't really care. Also it will revert during firmware updates which resides on the OS volume0.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

dizzyfish

Post by dizzyfish »

Actually @nazar78, I think I am being stupid... I think the disk flash every 10 seconds might be indicating that the disks are hibernating! (the disks feel and sound like they have spun down)
dizzyfish

Post by dizzyfish »

The disks do hibernate when I have the idle time set to a very low value, but looking at the hibernation log, they do not hibernate for very long (15 minutes approx).

Looking at the diagnostic tool, there seems to be two things which keep waking it up...

PMS GTP
PMS HttpClientC

Any idea what these are, and how to stop them?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Those belong to Plex, probably a bug that they still linger around after the app exits. If you already disabled the app, you can kill the process from the terminal or restart the NAS. Remember keeping the portal open could also potentially wake the disks or keeping them from going to sleep. This includes the diagnostic tool. You can monitor the LEDs pulsing when the disks are asleep.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “[Official] For AS50xx/51xx Series”