Chrome will terminate npapi support in next version

LooksGood's concise and refined interface guides you with two major functions. Media Explorer allows you to browse through and search for multimedia files on your NAS using a familiar directory structure, making everything intuitive and easy.TV recordings allow you to view files that appear as thumbnails with file names, allowing you to easily find the programs that you want to view with just one glance. Clicking on programs will allow you to instantly play high definition programs via your Web browser!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

ssbrianhk
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Chrome will terminate npapi support in next version

Post by ssbrianhk »

Chrome announced will terminate to support npapi in next version (http://blog.chromium.org/2014/11/the-fi ... npapi.html), but looksgood need to install VLC npapi plugin to chrome to play video, so, how can we use looksgood to play video after chrome terminated support npapi?
Steve@AST

Re: Chrome will terminate npapi support in next version

Post by Steve@AST »

Hi

If VLC support PPAIP, we think there should be no problem with chrome browser video playback,
but we are not sure about will VLC support PPAIP, so currently We are integrating LooksGood with firefox.

if you still prefer to use chrome, as far as I know,rollback to old chrome version (Google Chrome 42.0.2311.135) will be a solution.
ASUSTOR AS-602T
MacBook Air
iPhone 4s, New iPad, iPod nano
ssbrianhk

Post by ssbrianhk »

Thanks for your reply. For me, I prefer use Firefox, but looksgood only support chrome at this time, hope we can use it at Firefox before chrome fadeout npapi.
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

Hello Steve@AST,

I'm not to thrilled with the Firefox option. Chrome has ended support for NPAPI for a reason. Changing to a browser which cares less about security and still supports NPAPI should not be the way to go just to make an "easy" fix.
NPAPI is really old (dated 1995) and it would be nice if Asustor focussed on new technologies (dropping Java and embracing HTML5 is one of them) instead of hanging on to ancient technologies. This would make your product stand out compared to the competition.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
wde

Post by wde »

September has arrived. Chrome no longer supports NPAPI: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6213033
To make browsing with Chrome safer, faster, and more stable, we stopped allowing NPAPI plugins on September 1, 2015.
VLC plugin is not allowed in latest version of Chrome,
VLC plugin is working in Firefox.
My NAS: Flashtor 6 FS6706T ADM: 4.3.0.RSB1 Router: Technicolor CGM4331COM (XB7)
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

So, if I understand this correctly, basically LooksGood is broken now?

Since it could only run on a limited number of clients, and Chrome was the recommended client app, the only options are Firefox, period, now, right? Or can you still use phones and tablets with the mobile apps?

Makes me real glad I went down the Plex road. Asustor seems to be having problems even keeping their own in-house apps working these days.
wde

Post by wde »

My NAS: Flashtor 6 FS6706T ADM: 4.3.0.RSB1 Router: Technicolor CGM4331COM (XB7)
sys

Post by sys »

I tried my Synology DS214play and the VLC does not work in Chrome Video Station either even under new DSM. Chrome is still my most used browser. I hope that either VLC or NAS makers can think of a way to break it...
scottnzuk

Post by scottnzuk »

html5 IS THE ONLY OPTION. :ugeek:

Return to “LooksGood”