Media Converter confusion - does it support AS-204TE or not?

LooksGood's concise and refined interface guides you with two major functions. Media Explorer allows you to browse through and search for multimedia files on your NAS using a familiar directory structure, making everything intuitive and easy.TV recordings allow you to view files that appear as thumbnails with file names, allowing you to easily find the programs that you want to view with just one glance. Clicking on programs will allow you to instantly play high definition programs via your Web browser!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

SPOinNS
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Media Converter confusion - does it support AS-204TE or not?

Post by SPOinNS »

I'm confused (nothing new there) - the News Announcement on 2015/04/21 says: "Media Converter for AS2/3/6 is now available on App Central" however that is the first and last time I can find any mention of this functionality for the AS -2XXT/TE series.

Following the linked News Announcement headline leads to a paragraph that describes what Media Converter does and its availability for the following: "Models currently supporting hardware acceleration: AS3/AS50/AS51/AS70
Hyper-Transcoding technology is available on the following models: AS50/51/70"

I see no mention of any 2 series model at all beyond the News Announcement headline. Was it just a mistake - a cruel one - but just a mistake?

I'm beginning to think that documentation (as opposed to marketing) is not one of Asustor's strengths.
Shawn.S@AST

Re: Media Converter confusion - does it support AS-204TE or not?

Post by Shawn.S@AST »

Hi SpoinNS,

Sorry to make you confuse. Media converter function is now available for AS2, 3, 6 but it is software based, not hardware acceleration based. So even it is available in AS2, 3, 6 but the conversion is slow in performance and the CPU utilization is very high. That is the reason why for AS 5, 7, we have denoted more specifically they support hardware acceleration and hyper-transcoding.
dhstsw

Post by dhstsw »

Sorry to make you confuse. Media converter function is now available for AS2, 3, 6 but it is software based, not hardware acceleration based. So even it is available in AS2, 3, 6 but the conversion is slow in performance and the CPU utilization is very high. That is the reason why for AS 3, 5, 7, we have denoted more specifically they support hardware acceleration and hyper-transcoding.
Ok, this is even more confusing:
is now available for AS2, 3, 6 but it is software based
in AS2, 3, 6 but the conversion is slow in performance and the CPU utilization is very high
That is the reason why for AS 3, 5, 7, we have denoted more specifically they support hardware acceleration and hyper-transcoding
So, basically, for AS3 the transcoding is in software BUT but also support HW Acceleration :D

ROFL.

(by the way, it doesn't even if for some mysterious reason looksgood *does* when playing files.
starting transcoding il AS304 takes about all the CPU and is slow as hell - meaning - about useless).
AS-304T
If you own a series 2/3/6 Asustor it's very likely you won't get XBMC 13.x/Kodi.
But easily you'll end buying a kitchen from UK.
Shawn.S@AST

Post by Shawn.S@AST »

Sorry, my bad...AS3 also supports hardware acceleration... I guess I typed too quickly...
dhstsw

Post by dhstsw »

If that is true i wonder why:

-conversion with looksgood takes up about all cpu time.
-conversion goes at about 12/13 FPS per second while using looksgood for streaming the same media does 25FPS without any problem.

?
AS-304T
If you own a series 2/3/6 Asustor it's very likely you won't get XBMC 13.x/Kodi.
Shawn.S@AST

Post by Shawn.S@AST »

Hi dhstsw,

Thanks for the further quest. There is still confusion and mistake in my previous reply. Please allow me to make summary as follows so it can be clear:

Real time transcode
AS3, AS5, AS7

Media conversion
AS2, AS3, AS6 (software)
AS5, AS7 (hardware)
dhstsw

Post by dhstsw »

Ok,

maybe Asustor will add conversion in hardware (after all if transcode works i don't see any technical problems to use it for media conversion) for AS3xx.

thanks.
AS-304T
MisterC925

Post by MisterC925 »

The 2.5.1.RB62 brought hardware transcode (Media Converter) support to LooksGood at least with the AS-304T. I'm geting 99fps 720p to 720p with ffmpeg using 25% and the VidEnc_Input (assuming part of the SMD system) using 20% of the CPU.

This is instead of 13fps before.

Return to “LooksGood”