It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:15 am
All times are UTC + 8 hours

Volume 1 HDD Bad Block

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Volume 1 HDD Bad Block

Postby mudplug » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:34 am

HI All

I can find this answer anywhere, My volume 1 a 6TB HDD has a bad block so I want to remove it before it gets worse.
I have Volume 2 set up as Raid 6 built up of 6 8tb drives, how do I turn volume 2 into volume 1 so I can remove the faulty HDD.

Thanks
mudplug

Re: Volume 1 HDD Bad Block

Postby Nazar78 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:16 am

Not sure if you can do this especially as a single drive, I believe the volume 1 data partition is also on the same disk as the volume 0 OS/swap partition. Unless ADM mirror the OS/swap partitions to your raid 6 drives as well, you'll need that single drive to boot normally. To confirm this, ssh into the device as root then run: cat /proc/mdstat. Even though this is true, there's some internal configs which holds the volume information that needs changes.

If my first assumption is correct (no OS/swap mirrors), the only way is for you to power down then clone that single hdd by external means (safest method). Or initialize the NAS without the raid 6 hdds, again edit the internal config, then boot up again with the raid 6 hdds inserted (unsafe/complicated). I may be wrong because I don't have your model so best is for you to open a ticket with Asustor Support.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - [40TB N300 RAID10 + 5 Bay USB: 8TB RAID5 & 480GB SSD for Apps]
Nazar78

Return to [Official] For AS70XX Series