Useless Mailserver

ASUSTOR’s Mail Server offers a comprehensive and cost-effective solution that allows any business to easily maintain their own dedicated mail server.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Higgins12
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Useless Mailserver

Post by Higgins12 »

Does the Mailserver even work? Whatever I do .. nothing works.

1. Newly created users can't login to the Mailserver - sometimes I have to create the User 3 or 4 Times until he can login.
2. The created SSL Certificate in ADM doesn't work for Email. Therefore most Email Clients refuse to login.
3. Users who are able to Login, can't login Minutes later.
4. I can't send Emails - AT ALL - no matter what settings I try, it just doesn't work.

I'm short before to sell the Asustor NAS - really annoying.
orion

Re: Useless Mailserver

Post by orion »

I tried it before. But I did not enable it due to my usage case. I'll suggest you to send a support request to asustor to check it. http://support.asustor.com/
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

Higgins12 wrote:Does the Mailserver even work? Whatever I do .. nothing works.

1. Newly created users can't login to the Mailserver - sometimes I have to create the User 3 or 4 Times until he can login.
2. The created SSL Certificate in ADM doesn't work for Email. Therefore most Email Clients refuse to login.
3. Users who are able to Login, can't login Minutes later.
4. I can't send Emails - AT ALL - no matter what settings I try, it just doesn't work.

I'm short before to sell the Asustor NAS - really annoying.
Yes, the mailserver works. I could receive and send mail just fine.

1. Maybe you should wait a bit before trying to login to the mailserver. Not everything happens instandly, it may need some time to configure all settings / set everything up
2. A certificate created by ADM should not work, unless you mark the certificate as trusted somewhere (everywhere?). If you need certificates for your clients, use a free one from let's encrypt (and get your own domainname first). This will allow you to connect to your NAS from the internet on a trusted SSL connection as well
3. I personally have not used the mailserver extensively, but did not experience this problem. What do the logs tell about the not being able to logon?
4. When you configure the mailserver you probably need to tell the server to drop the emails to the ISP mailserver (using your ISP account / password). Most ISPs will not allow you to send e-mail to the internet

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
Higgins12

Post by Higgins12 »

Well - for me, I just couldn't get it to work. Didn't wanted to mess with the config Files as I don't know if they get overwritten by the OS.
So I was going to set up a Virtual Ubuntu Machine in Vrtualmachine and configured Postfix+Dovecot from scratch. Requested a Certificate from Letsencrypt with: sudo letsencrypt certonly --agree-tos --email my-email-address -d mail.my-domain.com

Certificate was issued without Problem. Changed Config Files to my needs and Voila .. I can receive and send Emails just fine.

Return to “Mail Server”