Problem setting up mailserver on AS3102T

ASUSTOR’s Mail Server offers a comprehensive and cost-effective solution that allows any business to easily maintain their own dedicated mail server.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Kapitein Haak
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Problem setting up mailserver on AS3102T

Post by Kapitein Haak »

Hello Linde03,

Well, we've got the first part of it working ;). The smtp server from Ziggo and UPC might differ a bit, but as long as they relay the messages, nobody cares :D
Now, for the receiving e-mail part, you will need to make sure that you are sending e-mail to the right IP address.
From the same LAN as the NAS is connected go to http://www.whatismyip.com and make a note of your public IP addresss. Now open a command prompt and type:

Code: Select all

ping <mydomain.name>
and check if mydomain.name resolves to the same IP address.
I suspect they won't match.
1. If you need a website running on the current mydomain.name IP address, then you will need to change the MX record and point it to the public IP address
2. If you are just using the mydomain.name for email (or will run the website on your NAS), you will need to set the IP address of the domain to the public IP address, the MX record will then follow the new IP address
After you have modified the IP addresses, it may take some time (hours) to propagate through the DNS hosts. Use an

ipconfig /flushdns
to get rid of the old IP on your local PC.
You will need to be able to connect to your domain name on port 25 and have your NAS respond to it before you can receive mail.
When you get this working with the mydomain.name you can enter the following commands in the telnet session:

helo
mail from:test@test.nl
rcpt to:admin@mydomain.name
subject:test
This is a test.
It should respond with a message queued for delivery message. Then check Thunderbird...

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
linde03

Post by linde03 »

Hello Kapitein Haak,
you are totally right. :lol:
The ip adresses didn't match as they should.
After initially setting the www pointer at my domain provider to relay webtraffic to my nas, I assumed that the A records were connected with my wan ip, as webtraffic did get properly relayed to my nas website. However, now I learn, the ip adresses of the 3 A records were (slightly) different.
After changing the IP addres to my wan ip in the A record that refers to mydomain.de, I could sent and receive mail with my admin account via Thunderbird.
Then tried if I could send/receive mail by changing the server settings in thunderbird to mydomain.de, instead of the local nas IP.
For the POP this is working, but for the smtp it isnt. Any comments on that? I guess this means I can't send mail when I am not in my local network.
The mx record still wont allow my wan ip, so I left it at mydomain.de
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

Hello Linde03,

You could set up a new A record, for example mail(.yourdomain.name.) and point this record to the public IP. Then you can refer the MX record to the newly created A record. You can then setup Thunderbird to point to the mail.yourdomain.name server.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
linde03

Post by linde03 »

Hello Kapitein Haak,
so simple, yet so efficient. :)
Worked like a charm.
Thank you soo much for your help with this. I am a happy camper.
Will play with this a little bit more next week, then hope to find a way to add some extra mail adresses on this domain.name. (This won't work yet with the other users)
Noticed there are some threads on this already, so will sign off on this thread.
Thanks again Kapitein Haak.
betsycollins

Post by betsycollins »

Kapitein Haak wrote:Hello Linde03,

Well, we've got the first part of it working ;). The smtp server from Ziggo and UPC might differ a bit, but as long as they relay the messages, nobody cares :D
Now, for the receiving e-mail part, you will need to make sure that you are sending e-mail to the right IP address.
From the same LAN as the NAS is connected go to http://www.whatismyip.com and make a note of your public IP addresss. Now open a command prompt and type:

ping <mydomain.name>
and check if mydomain.name resolves to the same IP address.
I suspect they won't match.
1. If you need a website running on the current mydomain.name IP address, then you will need to change the MX record and point it to the public IP address
2. If you are just using the mydomain.name for email (or will run the website on your NAS), you will need to set the IP address of the domain to the public IP address, the MX record will then follow the new IP address
After you have modified the IP addresses, it may take some time (hours) to propagate through the DNS hosts. Use an

ipconfig /flushdns
to get rid of the old IP on your local PC.
You will need to be able to connect to your domain name on port 25 and have your NAS respond to it before you can receive mail.
When you get this working with the mydomain.name you can enter the following commands in the telnet session:

helo
mail from:test@test.nl
rcpt to:admin@mydomain.name
subject:test
This is a test.
It should respond with a message queued for delivery message. Then check Thunderbird...

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak
I had the same problem and this fixed it. But as strange as it is, the link you provided and this one here, both gave me a different result. Could it be because the cookies? because i was previously connected to a vpn

Return to “Mail Server”