(SOLVED) Will this setup work on an Asustor device?

ownCloud gives you universal access to your files through a web interface or WebDAV. It also provides a platform to easily view & sync your contacts, calendars and bookmarks across all your devices and enables basic editing right on the web. Installation has minimal server requirements, does not need special permissions and is quick. ownCloud is extendable via a simple but powerful API for applications and plugins.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Acselerator
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

(SOLVED) Will this setup work on an Asustor device?

Post by Acselerator »

I currently have a Dropbox account and am using Dropsync with my Android device to sync certain folders locally to my phone. If I add a file to Dropbox it is automatically downloaded to my phone and likewise if I delete a file on my phone it's also deleted off Dropbox. This allows me to have a local series of offline folders on my phone that are up to date at all times with Dropbox.

Do the Asustor apps offer a similar feature to Dropsync? I don't want to always be streaming my music, photos and videos from my NAS. I want to have a local copy of the files that are automatically updated. So if I downloaded a piece of music to my computer, added it to a folder on my NAS it would automatically be downloaded to my phone as well. Likewise if I downloaded a file on my phone that would be uploaded to the NAS too. I don't just want a simple backup system. I want 2 way syncing between a NAS and android device.

Thanks
MikeG.6.5

Re: Will this setup work on an Asustor device?

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

OwnCloud, which is ported over to the Asustor platform can do something very similar. In fact, ownCloud can let you select what you want to have copied to the phone/tablet, and if you don't want it there anymore, you can unselect it, or can delete it.

I use it to keep 3 PC's and a tablet up to date with different photo ideas, makeup layouts, poses, etc. It works quite well for my uses.
Acselerator

Post by Acselerator »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:OwnCloud, which is ported over to the Asustor platform can do something very similar. In fact, ownCloud can let you select what you want to have copied to the phone/tablet, and if you don't want it there anymore, you can unselect it, or can delete it.

I use it to keep 3 PC's and a tablet up to date with different photo ideas, makeup layouts, poses, etc. It works quite well for my uses.
I emailed Asustor to ask them directly and they also mentioned ownCloud. Alongside Wonderbox and Bittorent Sync. So that's promising.

Does the software work both ways? Does it just take stuff from the NAS and push it onto the phone or will it push the phone stuff onto the NAS as well?

Considering Asustor are the only company to email back so far and ownCloud looks promising I may well be investing in an Asustor NAS soon. Impressed so far.

EDIT: In my attempts to find apps I remembered finding Folder Sync for Android. Since that lists ownCloud as an option I should be able to work out a appropriate setup.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Owncloud actually has it's own Android client, so that shouldn't be an issue. The client app is free, as well.
Acselerator

Post by Acselerator »

That's great, thanks for your help

Return to “ownCloud”