slow VPN

ASUSTOR's VPN service brings businesses a truly effective solution.
ramzez
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

slow VPN

Post by ramzez »

I have 120mbit download and 10Mbit upload connection. I have setup VPN with Chaps2 protocol and 128bit encryption, however when i connect over VPN the maximum download speed is about 3Mbit and upload is 1,5 Mbit, i can also see that CPU usage is low.

Is that a bug ?
AS202TE
mafredri

Re: slow VPN

Post by mafredri »

Are you talking about using the VPN Client (through Settings) or VPN Server (through App Central app)?

If you are using your NAS as a VPN client, then the problem could the the server you are connecting to, maybe it doesn't have a strong enough CPU or not enough bandwidth.

If you are running the VPN Server on your NAS and connecting to it, then it could be a problem on the clients end.

Generally I have been able to get good speeds on my NAS (AS-6) whilst running it as a VPN Client, ~60 Mbps up/down which is a limitation of the VPN Server.

Regards,
Mathias
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

I am talking about VPN Server. I tested it locally on my WiFi. I will try to do a bit more tests, but wanted to check if there are some tips.
AS202TE
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

ramzez wrote:I am talking about VPN Server. I tested it locally on my WiFi. I will try to do a bit more tests, but wanted to check if there are some tips.
What are you using to connect to the VPN server, mobile phone, laptop? Also, have you taken into consideration that Wifi might be the limiting factor?
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

mafredri wrote:
ramzez wrote:I am talking about VPN Server. I tested it locally on my WiFi. I will try to do a bit more tests, but wanted to check if there are some tips.
What are you using to connect to the VPN server, mobile phone, laptop? Also, have you taken into consideration that Wifi might be the limiting factor?

without vpn i am getting 100mbit download (using speedtest) on my iPhone. with VPN i was getting only 3 Mbit, but looks after i restarted and changed encryption level form Max to MME(40/128) i am now getting 27-30Mbit. which is much better.

So maybe it was just intermittent problem.
AS202TE
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

ramzez wrote:
mafredri wrote:

without vpn i am getting 100mbit download (using speedtest) on my iPhone. with VPN i was getting only 3 Mbit, but looks after i restarted and changed encryption level form Max to MME(40/128) i am now getting 27-30Mbit. which is much better.

So maybe it was just intermittent problem.
Yeah, high encryption levels on an iPhone will definitely be problematic. The lower the better the speeds I'd bet.
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

I can't seem to get more than 1.78 download or upload speed from mac while in UK. Anyone can share their setting ?
AS202TE
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

ramzez wrote:I can't seem to get more than 1.78 download or upload speed from mac while in UK. Anyone can share their setting ?
You are probably limited by your internet connection in the UK, or on the other end.
ramzez

Post by ramzez »

speedtest shows 150mb download / 15mb upload.
AS202TE
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

ramzez wrote:speedtest shows 150mb download / 15mb upload.
Sounds about right. 15 Mbps = 1.875 MB/s

Return to “VPN Server”