*URGENT - OpenVpn 20 Clients limit?

ASUSTOR's VPN service brings businesses a truly effective solution.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Nicollasrk
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

*URGENT - OpenVpn 20 Clients limit?

Post by Nicollasrk »

Hello everyone, we have here a As6210t-FD32 and we are using built-in openvpn to work from home. But looking at the settings we have only 20 clients limit and here in office we need 32. Why it limits only at 20? Afaik openvpn can support more than 500 clients at once.

There is any alternative to that? Because now when the 21th try to connect it fails until the connection drops to someone and then they can connect.
orion

Re: *URGENT - OpenVpn 20 Clients limit?

Post by orion »

mm... I don't know this limitation neither. You can send a support ticket to asustor https://support.asustor.com/. There might be a setting to change it.
Last edited by orion on Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

As a temporary workaround (up to Asustor change the limit), you can use Entware APKG then install the Openvpn include
... Even you need to configure it manually (but it's VERY documented (Openvpn site) and the Asustor OpenVPN is a good example)
... With one advantage ... the possibility to use certificate (with paraphrase or not) for the connection (also revocable) ... easy-rsa tools (to build and control private certificates) are provided
... Also if you know ... change from routing to bridge mode

You can use it only or in complement of Asustor Openvpn ... change the port and forward it in your router / box

I am at 600 km of my lab and use this in bridge mode ... so appear as if I was connected on the local LAN of the NAS. I use certificate for security

But this require a minimum of knowledge in Linux and OpenVPN

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
IN COMPLEMENT of my previous message ... If you have the skills ...
I have try to analyse the Asustor OpenVPN configuration
... launch is done using a specific binary : vpninit ... so we can't know how launch is really managed and if some file are modified.

BUT if you have time to run a test (without people connected) you can do :
... stop VPN (disable it in App. Central)
... ... then stop using the VPN GUI to change OpenVPN conf.
... edit the file : /usr/local/AppCentral/vpn-server/etc/vpnserver.config and change in section [openvpn] the line : maxclient = 20 and put value you want
... ... using confutil is also possible : confutil -set /usr/local/AppCentral/vpn-server/etc/vpnserver.config openvpn maxclient 25 (25 is for ex.)
... edit the file : /usr/local/AppCentral/vpn-server/etc/openvpn/server.conf use your preferred editor and change line : "max-clients 20" and change value
... ... using sed is possible : sed -i "s/max-clients 20/max-clients 25/" /usr/local/AppCentral/vpn-server/etc/openvpn/server.conf
I am not sure it's require (server.conf modification) because, I think that the file is build by vpninit ... but by security change the two files

Enable again VPN server ... and test ... return to default / valid value in case of error ... take attention to memory and CPU used.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
Nicollasrk

Post by Nicollasrk »

Damn man thank you soo much!

I was looking for all that documentation for the past days, so i assume i was on the right way.
Im trying all those tests and settings to see if i will succeed.

Thank you again!!

Return to “VPN Server”