Howto share an album with privilege=password

Photo Gallery is a dedicated web photo album that makes photo management easy. The interface is clean and concise with albums appearing in the album list consisting of a cover photo and 4 smaller thumbnail photos.
sigvind
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Howto share an album with privilege=password

Post by sigvind »

Hi,

I'm trying out Photo Gallery 2.0.0.r936, very happy in seeing that multi-level folder structure has been added!

I was testing out how to share albums with friends, that don't necessarily have a user account on my NAS, trying to make a test album with privilege=password. Then I click the "share to" button and get an URL link that I expected it would be possible to use to access the album. When I copy-paset this link in another newly open browser (from the local network, with the external IP), I get to the WEB page and a pop-up prompting for password, but when I enter the password I just get another message saying "album does not exist or insufficient privileges...

Anyone know what could be missing to get this to work? I'm not an expert in privilege stuff, so any comment on obvious things would also be welcome :-)

The album is a sub album on level 2, i.e "/2006/Test"

Regard,
Sig.
orion

Re: Howto share an album with privilege=password

Post by orion »

Yes, I found this behavior too. I believe you should set the privilege of your level-1 album (i.e., 2006 album) as private or password. If you set to "public", that should work. I guess it is the behavior that asustor intends to be (the upper level albums should be set to public to share to others).
sigvind

Re: Howto share an album with privilege=password

Post by sigvind »

Orion, thanks for this, I think you might be right.

Meanwhile however, I added an extra level in my directory structure, to prepare for having the pictures from other family members in a different top level. Then the above method doesn't seem to work for some reason.
I thought of having something like.
Main
--album 1
--album 2
--holidays
---album 1
---album 2
--album 3
Family member 2's photos
- (same or other structure as above )
Family member 3's photos
- etc.

If I set Main to public, I can configure password on Main/2016, but then I get access to all the albums of 2016. It does not seem to be possible to set other privileges on level 3, i.e on the albums of 2016.

The main reason for adding the extra top level was to be able to point at one root of all pictures for back-up. I waited 2-3 days for thumbnails to be generated (4, so its not tempting to change it right now :-)

Having a dedicated user that I share together with the password, I guess would give close to what I want.

Return to “Photo Gallery”