how access/use web browser without Asus Portal app?

Enjoy high definition brilliance with your NAS and ASUSTOR Portal

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

asusabc123
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

how access/use web browser without Asus Portal app?

Post by asusabc123 »

Hi

I have my NAS in different room, not connected with any TV display, connected just with ethernet.
How can I access / use web browser apps ( Chrome,Firexox) installed in NAS without Asus. Portal / hdmi connection ?

E.g. If I want download some files from web servers where is needed to login,
In this case I can't use just Download Center, because I need login to site first.

Andrew
father.mande

Re: how access/use web browser without Asus Portal app?

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Use tool like Xvnc_server APKG (available on App. Central and in this forum) ... client is any Vnc client (Windows / Mac / Linux / Android / etc.)
... when you connect you ... you have access to Asportal and applications, when you leave ... Asportal / App. stay as is (ex. if running things in Chrome)

The only problem, is, if you don't have a screen connected, because Xorg search to re-init screen definition (ask for EDID information) THE SOLUTION for real headless mode is to use HDMI Plug emulator available in lot of Web store for few euro (or $) ex. in Amazon.

For my own usage (I am all time out of my lab) ... I use this on all my headless server (multiples NAS and Linux or Windows server) ... my preference if for HDMI emulator with pass-through (to be able to connect a real screen immediately) ... but it's absolutely not necessary and simple plug are less costly and works as well (you can choice the definition of the virtual screen up to 4k)

It's an small investment ... but so useful.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “ASUSTOR Portal”