Single to JBOD without reinstalling?

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

PeterT
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Single to JBOD without reinstalling?

Post by PeterT »

Hello,

I have one single disk on my 202TE. It is nearly full.
So I bought a new disk in a hope that I can add it to the existing one in a JBOD configuration.
But the only thing the Storage Manager allows me to do is to change RAID level to RAID1.

So is it really a sad fact that I cannot add a new disk to a single disk to change it to JBOD without the tedious way of re-installing the system?

I know that the other option is to use my new disk as a second volume.
But can I have one shared folder (Media in my case, which needs more space) span across two volumes?
Or can I at least safely move Media from Volume1 to Volume2 keeping all the access rights?

Thanks for any help that would save me from re-installing.
father.mande

Re: Single to JBOD without reinstalling?

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
PeterT wrote:Hello,

I have one single disk on my 202TE. It is nearly full.
So I bought a new disk in a hope that I can add it to the existing one in a JBOD configuration.
But the only thing the Storage Manager allows me to do is to change RAID level to RAID1.

So is it really a sad fact that I cannot add a new disk to a single disk to change it to JBOD without the tedious way of re-installing the system?

I know that the other option is to use my new disk as a second volume.
But can I have one shared folder (Media in my case, which needs more space) span across two volumes?
Or can I at least safely move Media from Volume1 to Volume2 keeping all the access rights?

Thanks for any help that would save me from re-installing.
In fact when you have a single disk ... it's a raid1 with ONE disk only defined (do a cat /proc/mdstat to confirm this.)
... so introducing a second disk ... offer to complete the Raid1 (nothing more ... so NO JBOD)
... normally you can also choice as a second single disk (second raid1 with one disk)

When creating second single disk you can add share on this volume (take care to add access right for your use) ... so just define the new share in your application to access data

YES it's possible to copy (or using tar) files AND preserving owner and access right (it's very standard options ... )

shared volume can't be span across multiple volume, only on some NAS brand (I never test on Asustor) it's possible to create link folder in one share to second volume BUT applications must be able to manage link (ex. SAMBA require a specific parameters to follow symlink (considered as a security hole ... but on NAS shared resources are separate of kernel and Linux basic software) AND it's a possibility to verify Application by Application ... it's not at system level ...

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
PeterT

Re: Single to JBOD without reinstalling?

Post by PeterT »

Thanks for the explanations.

Not really user friendly approach. I expected that from Single I can go in the future to any RAID (only limited by the number of bays) or JBOD.

So I finally opted for creating a new volume and moving Media to that volume. I will not experiment with symlinks.

Return to “[Official] For AS-20X Series”