Problem after changing WD RED

ceut
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Problem after changing WD RED

Post by ceut »

Hello,
I have my AS202TE since many years (2014), works flawlessly until I changed one HDD last month after SMART error.

Here is my original configuration since 2014:
>ADM version 2.2.1R863 - very stable version so I have never update it, only problem is that I can't download on the store (I don't use it).
>2x WD Red 4To WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 / FW 80.00A80 which I have disable timers with WD tools, RAID1 configuration.
>UPS EATON Protection Station 800 with USB plugged on the NAS.

One of the two WD Red has made a SMART error (which has disappears since , after checking it with Datalife Guard under DOS on my secondary PC with SATA, strange :?: )

I have changed the 2 HDD with new WD40EFRX-68N32N0 / FW 82.00A82, one by one for RAID1 recovering (about 10 hours for each).

After a clean shutdown(all RAID1 recovery was finished after about 2x 10 hours), then power on again: the Asustor Assistant for putting first drive is showing up on DHCP mode (whereas I'm with Static IP) and nothing else :cry: :cry: :cry:
I have swapped the 2 new WD drive: same problem :cry: :cry: :cry:

Big moment of panic because all my HDD are new, and all RAID1 has been well recovered without any interruption.

So I have tried to put on SLOT1 only 1 of the 2 WD Red older one: my NAS boots normally with all my settings and Data...

I have re-tried to recover one of the 2 new HDD, then shutdown, then plug only the new one on the SLOT1: same problem :cry:

I don't know what to do, all the HDD are exactly the same (even the weight!), only FW is a bit different and date code.

Maybe someone could help me ? Thanks...

Edit: I add my BIOS version : 0.25 / 1.0023 , is there a newer one ?
orion

Re: Problem after changing WD RED

Post by orion »

Did you mean that you tried:
  • When NAS with (slot-1 + old disk) is working, insert a new disk.
  • After sync completed, remove slot-1 disk, insert another new disk to slot-1.
  • Wait for sync finish.
  • Shutdown NAS down (no any changes on disks). Turn NAS on again.
If it failed, it must be a bug on this old version. If you still want to keep this old version, I think you can try:
  • When NAS with (slot-1 + old disk) is working, backup system configuration to a USB drive (under ADM -> Settings).
  • Swap 2 new disks according to the procedure above.
  • Then restore system configuration after the sync tasks of both disks finish.
  • Shutdown NAS down. Turn NAS on again.
If it does not work, you have no choices to upgrade ADM version. However, as I know, the upgrading path should be different than normal upgrade (because your ADM version is too old). You should contact to asustor support.
ceut

Post by ceut »

orion wrote:Did you mean that you tried:
  • When NAS with (slot-1 + old disk) is working, insert a new disk.
  • After sync completed, remove slot-1 disk, insert another new disk to slot-1.
  • Wait for sync finish.
  • Shutdown NAS down (no any changes on disks). Turn NAS on again.
It's what I have tried and boot failed with new HDD
orion wrote:Did you mean that you tried:
If it failed, it must be a bug on this old version. If you still want to keep this old version, I think you can try:
  • When NAS with (slot-1 + old disk) is working, backup system configuration to a USB drive (under ADM -> Settings).
  • Swap 2 new disks according to the procedure above.
  • Then restore system configuration after the sync tasks of both disks finish.
  • Shutdown NAS down. Turn NAS on again.
If it does not work, you have no choices to upgrade ADM version. However, as I know, the upgrading path should be different than normal upgrade (because your ADM version is too old). You should contact to asustor support.
I'm trying this one, but I have to wait about 10 hours because of RAID1 rebuilding, and if it fails again I will send a mail to Asustor Support.

Also, could you tell me which BIOS version you have ? Thanks :)
ceut

Post by ceut »

So the restore system configuration has failed too.
I have mailed to Asustor support, and ask them if there is something like a BIOS for my 202TE.
Now I'm upgrading step by step the ADM with one of my defective WD Red 4To only on SLOT1 to check what will happen.
(I have found old version here https://www.asustor.com/en/service/adm_older_versions but I can't find the changelog anywhere :( )

Edit: Also I have now some bug with the mail notifications with my gmail account... Will check that later
orion

Post by orion »

ceut wrote: Also, could you tell me which BIOS version you have ? Thanks :)
My AS-304T BIOS is 0.28 / 1.0023.
ceut

Post by ceut »

orion wrote: My AS-304T BIOS is 0.28 / 1.0023.
Thank you !
The more I dig on my problem, the more I think it has to be a BIOS detection problem (like if BIOS is too fast to check the SATA port on power up).

My new HDD works well if I put it after booted from the old one.
But if I let the new one alone after the RAID1 recovering on SLOT1 after powering off: the HDD is not detected at NAS Boot, that's why I have an animation picture telling me that I must put a HDD on SLOT1...

Asustor support wants to connect to my Nas for checking it. I try to use the one of the old WD Red that has one bad cluster.
I have succeeded to upgrade it to the 2.6.6RCF2 version, and no BIOS update.
But the Nas doesn't want to recover RAID1 array on one of the new one when I hot plug it, because of the 1 sector error.

And the other old WD Red one: I use it very carefully because it works well and has all my data on it.

So for instance I'm stuck, 2 brand new 4To WD Red, and a NAS which does not want to detect them at boot :cry:

Return to “[Official] For AS-20X Series”