soft reset

kdwg1308
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

soft reset

Post by kdwg1308 »

hi, i've just come back from holiday and having some problems with my as204te.
as i wasn't going to here to use it my equipment was all turned off and when i turned my nas back on it seemed to hang on start up, the green light on the front would just keep flashing. i pulled the power cable left it for 10 mins and tried again, but it started without me even having to power on, but still hung. i then pulled the cable it and left it overnight.
same thing this morning, as soon as the plug went in the machine started up, but just hung.
after a good clean out and i little research on here it sounded like an issue with an update, so i have done a soft reboot.
all good, back up and running, although on an old hd as a trial.
is there a way to put my old hds back in with wiping them?
surely all that data isn't going to be lost when i install the disks?

i wasn't using raid, more a jbod setup.

thanks

ken
Nazar78

Re: soft reset

Post by Nazar78 »

Ensure firmware is up to date then try swap to the old HDDs while the power is off.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
kdwg1308

Post by kdwg1308 »

thanks nazar, tried that but no luck.

ken
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

What's the actual issue you're having? The old HDDs not showing your existing volumes? Perhaps some screenshots might help.

ADM will partition your HDDs to install part of the the ADM OS on to the 2nd partition of all your HDDs. This partition will also contain some configs and details about your data volumes and will be lost if you ever factory reset the NAS or the partition and/or volume got corrupted. I've posted some details about my OS volume recovery here https://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=240&t=12860. It requires some technical knowledge but if your data is still intact, the recovery can be easily done without wiping the existing volumes.

Have someone knowledgeable you trust to look into your NAS which can be done remotely or try contacting Asustor Support.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
kdwg1308

Post by kdwg1308 »

thanks for taking the time to reply nazar, much appreciated.
i'm pretty sure it was a nas issue and not a disk issue, so hoping all the data is safe.
i took out all the disk, reset the nas to boot it, replaced one drive with an old pc hd and reintialised the nas. all good.
put three drives back in, leaving the old pc drive in slot one, and the nas can see them ok but they are inactive.
can i reactivate them with losing the data?
when i try to create a volume it wants to scrub all the data.
whats the point of that? i thought the whole point of storing it on a hd is that its always there.
i'm thinking of using a docking station to copy the data a new disk and then load it back onto the nas after creating the new volume, would that work?

again, thanks for the help
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

No problem.
put three drives back in, leaving the old pc drive in slot one, and the nas can see them ok but they are inactive.
This is because there's a config corruption somewhere. The OS is not able to match your config and existing volumes. Also need to confirm the data is indeed intact. So we need to look into the system as I posted in the previous link which requires some knowledge like the samples I've posted there.
when i try to create a volume it wants to scrub all the data.
whats the point of that? i thought the whole point of storing it on a hd is that its always there.
This will wipe the entire disk be careful. I've mentioned this in the link from my previous reply. It's a bad unintuitive design that I urge Asustor to improvise.
i'm thinking of using a docking station to copy the data a new disk and then load it back onto the nas after creating the new volume, would that work?
Yes this is the easiest best recommended option but you'll need to waste lots of time copying data to and fro excluding the time needed to rebuild an array if any. If you don't have huge amount of data, then this is the best approach.

If you have the free time, I could offer to help look into your issue, best at around my time somewhere midnight GMT+8 when I usually have some "screen" time. We'll do some remote assist session where you can see while I'll try to debug and fix your issue provided the data volumes is still healthy. It's quite simple actually if you know what you're doing but no guarantees as I'm just a fellow forumer. You can also contact Asustor Support which requires them to directly remote to your system.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

kdwg1308

Post by kdwg1308 »

thanks again nazar, i've raised a ticket with support to if they can offer a solution. will let you know how that goes.

i can borrow a docking station that can clone drives so thats not so bad.
the data is only media and i have all the hard copies, but there is 15 tb of it and i'd rather not have to rip it again!
i think i will just buy more disks and and clone them as copies to keep in case of more problems.

thanks

ken
kdwg1308

Post by kdwg1308 »

i'm having the same issues again.
been away from home for a few days, nas left powered on.
came home this morning and the nas has frozen, can't log in.
power button on front won't respond.
unplugged nas, have left it for up an hour, plugged it back in, but the nas powers on without pressing the power button, so it doesn't seem to be rebooting.
is there some kind of back up battery in the nas?
has there been an update released since thursday? that was the suggested issue the last time this happened.
i'm a third of the way through ripping my media, for the third time, and have just bought another 8tb hdd. not happy!
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

There's only a small CMOS battery to keep and maintain the RTC clock. The reason the NAS powers on when you plugin the power is due to the settings, Keep previous state, Power on or Remain off.

There's for sure recent updates. I personally disabled the automatic firmware upgrade as I would be able to catch any issues by doing it manually, especially when the system is prone to hang during reboot/shutdown.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

kdwg1308

Post by kdwg1308 »

thanks nazar (again), anyway around this?

ken

Return to “[Official] For AS-20X Series”