Disks full - seeking advice on upgrade options....

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

dizzyfish
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Disks full - seeking advice on upgrade options....

Post by dizzyfish »

I have an AS-202TEwith two 4TB Seagate NAS disks (ST4000VN000). They are set up using RAID 1 configuration. The disks are about 5 years old and are 98% full.

Interested in advice regarding what I should do to remedy? Maybe buy new bigger NAS drives (8TB) if the AS-202TE supports this, or maybe buy a completely new NAS box (the AS202TE is quite old now). Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks - Ian
Nazar78

Re: Disks full - seeking advice on upgrade options....

Post by Nazar78 »

It supports max raw 16TB RAID single volume, so yes you can upgrade the disks to 2x8TB. If you're using it for storage only or maybe with some light apps I think it's still sufficient but frankly it's up to you and your budget. The AS5202T albeit not the latest model is a good upgrade or opt for the 4 bay option.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
dizzyfish

Post by dizzyfish »

Big thanks for the reply @Nazar78. I like the sound of buying a new 4 bay model. Looks like the AS5202T is a 2 bay model, did you mean the AS5304T?

If I did buy a new AS5304T, how easy would it be to transfer the data on my existing 2 x RAID 1 disks from the AS-202TE onto the new AS5304T? Plex is the only app I really use on the current AS-202TE, other than that, I just use it to store my data (images and videos)

Kindest regards- Ian
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Yes AS5202T is the two bay and AS5304T is the 4 bay with almost similar specs. It's up to you. Normally you can just transfer over the disks to the new NAS but ensure your older NAS is already upgraded to its latest version prior.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
dizzyfish

Post by dizzyfish »

Thanks. What would be the easiest way of copying the existing data on the 4TB disk to a new 8TB disk? Could I use the RAID 1 option on my existing AS-202TE, and simply replace one of the RAID 1 4TB disks with a new 8TB one and copy the data (or do the RAID 1 disks need to be the same size)?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

It also depending on what's your option, 2 bay or 4 bay? Still with RAID1 or RAID5 with 4 disks on the 4 bay? Typically if there's no changes you just want to upgrade the disks size, you could just shutdown, move the existing disks to the new NAS, then use the wizard to migrate to larger disks.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “[Official] For AS-20X Series”