Sleepmode

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Cyclepiet
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Sleepmode

Post by Cyclepiet »

When i put my NAS into Sleeping-mode, it comes never back when i try to reach my NAS data, only when i touch the power-on button. I have also a Synology NAS, that one does the job as i expected, Has the Asustor not that mode?
Kind regards, Cp.

AS-202TE, 2x2TB, latest version ADM. DS212+, 2x2TB, latest version DSM.
orion

Re: Sleepmode

Post by orion »

There should be 2 sleep modes: NAS sleep and disk sleep. You should put NAS into NAS sleep mode which means NAS almost shutdown. Disk sleep mode should mean that NAS CPU is still running, but put some disks into idle state (motor is down). That should still consume some power energy. And, as I know, Synology does not support NAS sleep mode.

You can wake NAS up (when in NAS sleep mode) through PC ACC software or your mobile apps (AiData, AiMaster).
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

orion wrote:And, as I know, Synology does not support NAS sleep mode.
Not quite true. There are two Synology DS that support System Hibernation, e.g. the DS213+. There also the entire system shuts down, including the fan.

Here it is so that a network access to the Synology NAS is sufficient to wake it up, so even a simple ping command wakes up the NAS. Is this not possible with Asustor, e.g. when I access the web portal of the NAS with Firefox?
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Wake-on option are dependent of the Ethernet chip ... so you can check if your model support Wake-on based on physical activity and on magic packet.

BUT take care that Wake on physical access can be activated by any program try to access the NAS (ex. a Samba master) EVEN you don't require anything.

Ethtool help you to know what is supported by your Ethernet chip and can change it to add for ex. Physical access to magic packet

example :
AS5002T

Code: Select all

ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supports Wake-on: g (SO ONLY MAGIC is supported NO CHANGE POSSIBLE)
Wake-on: g
AS5202T (Numbustor)

Code: Select all

ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg (Physic. Unicast Multicast Broadcast maGic)
        Wake-on: g
Change it :
ethtool -s eth0 wol pg (for ex.)

You must do it for all eth able to be used for wake on

If it works for you ... ask Asustor support for change interface and during the waiting time ... add an start-up script to do it at end of boot ...

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
orion

Post by orion »

Delgado wrote: Here it is so that a network access to the Synology NAS is sufficient to wake it up, so even a simple ping command wakes up the NAS.
We usually say system sleep will put whole system into power down mode, except several device engines: network chip, USB engine, timer. In this mode, we should expect CPU does not consume power. You can wake up network chip by means of a magic packet. "ping command" packet is not a magic packet. CPU has to deal with "ping command" packets.

Return to “[Official] For AS-20X Series”