uTorrent -vs- Transmission

basketballmail2
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: uTorrent -vs- Transmission

Post by basketballmail2 »

People actually still use torrents? I thought everyone changed over to magnet links...
AS-606T: 3x WD 4.0TB RED RAID 5
Auberon2k

Post by Auberon2k »

basketballmail2 wrote:People actually still use torrents? I thought everyone changed over to magnet links...
A Magnet link just connects your Torrent client to the swarm and grabs the .torrent file from a peer as opposed to downloading/opening the torrent file itself. So a Magnet Link=Torrent.
basketballmail2

Post by basketballmail2 »

Auberon2k wrote:
basketballmail2 wrote:People actually still use torrents? I thought everyone changed over to magnet links...
A Magnet link just connects your Torrent client to the swarm and grabs the .torrent file from a peer as opposed to downloading/opening the torrent file itself. So a Magnet Link=Torrent.
Learned something new again :) Thanks :)
AS-606T: 3x WD 4.0TB RED RAID 5
toksid

Post by toksid »

Hey

Hopefully this is right place to ask but I have tried Download Center and uTorrent but didn't really like those. Never got Download Centers RSS system to work. So I downloaded Transmission 2.82 from App Central. It seems easy to use and smooth, getting very good speeds and all works great.
But since Transmission seems not to support RSS, I found from web that you can use watchdir for Transmission to automatically pick .torrent files. So the question goes, how do I enable this watchdir?
Parameters Im looking for (from Transmission wiki):
watch-dir: String
watch-dir-enabled: Boolean (default = false) Watch a directory for torrent files and add them to transmission.
I bet I have to find some setting/config file from deep-byte-space of my Asustor 202TE.

Cheers
gibxxi

Post by gibxxi »

(watch-dir: String)

This is the absolute path to the folder where your downloaded torrent files are usually placed. e.g: /volume1/Download/

(watch-dir-enabled: Boolean (default = false))

Use "True" to enable WatchDir support or "False" to disable it, once you've set the path from the first option. Boolean values written in the settings file without quotes btw.

Any torrent file then saved into the download share will be automatically queued (and the torrent file removed/moved) in Transmission.

For those asking about comparisons between the two; As previously noted, the Transmission Daemon doesn't natively support SSL, so login requests, settings and anything done in the GUI is sent over the internet as plain http. Encryption in Transmission settings will not harden the daemon itself from man-in-the-middle attacks. Second downside is that it doesn't support anonymizer VPNs either, or indeed VPNs of any description. With regards the SSL connection, it is possible to add Transmission's own built-in webserver / daemon to be passed through Apache-SSL as a proxy, but this requires a lot of CLI based configuring.

One positive is it's not affiliated with Bittorrent Inc. So won't be stuffed full of adware or other useless faff like has happened to uTorrent desktop since Bittorrent Inc. acquired it.
___ GibsonXXI ___
"Si vis pacem para bellum!"

NAS1: Asustor AS5104T | NAS2: Infrant Repertoire U4 (Modified)
liefde

Post by liefde »

clinton.hall wrote:Oh yeah... And no ssl is a security issue? You do know what the Torrent network is right? How is any layer of encryption NOT a security issue on a PTP network?
Don't know about you, but having all men in the middle see my remote login creds for *anything* on this NAS is pretty disturbing, to say the least.

Return to “uTorrent”