[HELP] Backup Plex Database

Plex Media Center bridges the gap between your NAS and your home theater, doing so with a visually appealing user interface that provides instant access to your media.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

canuckbrian
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

[HELP] Backup Plex Database

Post by canuckbrian »

Hello,

I have a AS5002T that I've been using as my media server using the Plex Media Server app.

I want to replace the single drive in the system with two new drives. I realize this will reset my entire system including installed apps. Before doing this I want to backup the plex database, but I can't seem to find it's location on the NAS.

Does anyone know where the database is located, and the best method for backing it up?
MikeG.6.5

Re: [HELP] Backup Plex Database

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

According to this support document: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articl ... erver-Data

The database is at a directory which doesn't exist... But I know it's this file and path: "/volume1/Plex/Library/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases/com.plexapp.plugins.library.db"

There is already a switch for backing up the database, but not sure if it's pass or not. It might be. Look in the Web App on Settings > Server > Scheduled Tasks > Backup database every three days and the directory path under it for the location you can change to back up the database to an external or thumb drive. I think non-Pass members can still do this, but not sure since I've had a Pass for so long now... :/

You should be able to use WinSCP (free) to download or copy this file locally to a computer. Make sure you close Plex before doing this, though. Then when you get the drives set up again, you shut down Plex (after you reinstall it) and then copy the file back to that location. Fire up Plex in App Central again, and everything should be good to go. I've done this a couple of times, and it works pretty well.
canuckbrian

Post by canuckbrian »

Hey Mike,

I found that path, thanks a lot. I'm able to use the built in File Explorer to download the .db file.

Thanks again!
lanimul

Post by lanimul »

I've restored Plex with the entire directory "volume1/Plex" after a new HDD initialize. I back up the whole directory monthly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Return to “Plex”