Plex dlna random disconnect on LG tv

Plex Media Center bridges the gap between your NAS and your home theater, doing so with a visually appealing user interface that provides instant access to your media.
BadAS302T
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Plex dlna random disconnect on LG tv

Post by BadAS302T »

So the last week or so, plex keeps disconnecting or disappear from my lg tv media list
Normally it shows up as a DLNA server and has worked perfect for 2years.
Now it just random disconnects or disappear from the lg tv media list

Ive tried different versions, deleted, reinstalled, reset, updated, downgraded, google, plex forum..

Cant find a solution, anywhere!

Any of you have this issue?

I havent change anything or done anything, it just came out of nowhere :cry:

Ok i fixed it by deleting my media folders from plex, deleting plex and then the plex folder on the asustor hdd,
Start all over installing plex and add my media folders inside plex etc.
Last edited by BadAS302T on Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeG.6.5

Re: Plex dlna random disconnect on LG tv

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I wouldn't use the DLNA server options at all. when the library starts getting large, the server starts doing exactly what you describe. Disappearing, losing media, not finding media after it's shown.

It's consistently buggy. Or was when I explored it almost 2 years ago. Plex themselves suggest in many of their forum posts to turn off DLNA for some of the advanced features. Some of those features are incompatible with the way DLNA does things, and can cause the whole server app to lock up. If you do a new install the option is automatically turned off. Upgrades will read your current settings and take those, though.

Depending on the model of LG TV you have, you may already have a Plex Client app available for your TV. I suggest you look at this first, to see if you can get the app installed on the TV first. If the app isn't available for your TV, then I suggest you look at a Roku to attach to the TV They have a few models now selling for under $50. It might cost you another $5 for the app on the Roku.

You don't say whether you have a Plex Pass or not, so I'm going to assume you don't. The Plex clients have issues with certain media types, requiring transcoding of the media unless you have the files and codecs just right. MP4, H264 with AAC audio in the first stream and AC3 in the second are almost universally accepted by Plex clients. Other file containers and codecs can require transcoding when trying to stream to these client apps.

The Roku can take a little bit more, so you may not have transcoding required to play to it. I don't have an LG TV and can't tell you what that app supports for Direct Play.

If you find that your client app does a lot of buffering, the it's likely that the client is trying to have the media transcoded. And the 302T doesn't have enough CPU to handle RT transcoding. If you see this, send me a PM here and I'll send you a link to my conversion scripts and give you some instruction on how to use them. They work pretty easily, but they are going to take a bit of time to do each file.
BadAS302T

Post by BadAS302T »

Thanks for all that info!
Just what i needed

The app on the tv is slow and crappy..
BadAS302T

Post by BadAS302T »

I will just remove some folders from plex, mainly tvshows, then theres less media on there
See if it works
BadAS302T

Post by BadAS302T »

Did not work, still randomly disconnects :/
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

OK, you are using just the DLNA portions of Plex Media Server?

And not using a dedicated Plex client app for your TV at all?
BadAS302T

Post by BadAS302T »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:OK, you are using just the DLNA portions of Plex Media Server?

And not using a dedicated Plex client app for your TV at all?
No the plex app on the tv is slow and crappy..
Plex shows up under inputs as a dlna server, i went back to an older version now, hope it works
BadAS302T

Post by BadAS302T »

Just did it again while watching a movie grrrr
BadAS302T

Post by BadAS302T »

Ok i fixed it by deleting my media folders from plex, deleting plex and plex folder on the asustor hdd,
Start all over installing plex and add my media folders etc.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

And this is working now? BTW, which model of TV do you have?

Return to “Plex”