Optimizing media for less to no transcoding

Plex Media Center bridges the gap between your NAS and your home theater, doing so with a visually appealing user interface that provides instant access to your media.
MikeG.6.5
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Optimizing media for less to no transcoding

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Plex just came out with a geat new feature the last few days. It's optimizing media feature. If you are a Pass holder you can try it now. It should be available for non-Pass holders soon, when the Pass holders work out the bugs.

Basically, it will take the media files you want it to optimize and give you 3 default options of original, 4Mbps and 1.5Mnps.

Original takes the same bitrates and basically converts the media, just as I have been suggesting here, to MP4, H264, with AAC audio in the first track.

The 4Mbps says it's optimizing for TV's so this downsamples to get a lower bitrate.

The 1.5Mbps says it's for phones, and it does the same basic thing. Down samples for smaller file size and bitrates.

You can keep the original MKV or AVI or whatever format you have your files in now, This just makes the files more Direct Play compatible. So those of you with the lower end NASes should be able to eliminate transcoding completely if you want to go through the process. If you set things up to do the entire library, you can have the NAS do these conversion for you in the background, so your NAS can still do the things you want it to do the rest of the time.

You can pause the conversions, and then restart them. the one feature I wish they had which isn't there is doing these conversions as a scheduled task. So they only happen say at night.

I've done some testing of this, and it's possible to have 2 or more conversions in your library at the same time, and the system can pick which one to send based on the bandwidth requirements.

So those of us that rely on Plex for watching our movies and shows can now do this without the annoying buffering some people are having issues with.
Jagstyles

Re: Optimizing media for less to no transcoding

Post by Jagstyles »

Wait... so you mean to tell me no more need for FFMpeg and all that conversion of files prior to adding to Plex? If so, that is FANTASTIC!!! I can now just have Couch Potato add the MKV files directly to Plex and it will do the rest????
Jagstyles

Post by Jagstyles »

Where do you see these settings? I just updated Plex to the most recent version and in settings, only option I have are to optimze speed of transcoding, or quality, or automatic.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

You have to be in your library and then hit the three elipse near the bottom on the left side. You should optimize there. Since I'm using the conversion scripts and renaming files, I just let that work, so I don't screw with my MP4's, etc... But I set up a filter to do the entire library at 4Mbps. This has been going about 3 hours and has like 4 or 5 movies. So for my 1600+ movies it's going to take a while to get both 4Mbps and 1.5Mbps optimized streams set up.

The one thing this optimizing doesn't do is give you any advanced audio so all you get is stereo. For that reason I would advise to keep using the conversion scripts to get the better audio for your home systems. This is IDEAL for remote or synch, and I tested it on my tablet, so I know it works well.

Just don't use the default settings they have in the menu. They call the 4Mbps one a 1080p version, and I couldn't get it to play with the tablet set up as 4Mbps 720. It was still transcoding and from the original file, not the optimized.

Also, remember, this is for PASS only for now. And you have to manually download and update the app. It's not going to show you there is an update within Plex itself. You have to go get it yourself.
Jagstyles

Post by Jagstyles »

Thanks Mike, I was able to manually install the Plexpass Subscriber update today. So to clarify, what would you suggest are the optimal settings if I'm mostly going to be using this to stream over ethernet to my various TV's and home theatre system? There are quite a few options in the "Player" settings, not sure what to choose. I want to maintain great quality but also avoid any streaming issues.

I will say I have been adding TV episodes at a full 720P in MKV format and the Roku has been playing everything I throw at it. Not sure if I'm just lucky right now but haven't had any issues there. I set my TV shows in Sonarr and select 720P only format.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

I get my media in mixed bag resolutions. Mainly because some of the older shows aren't available in anything remotely close to HD....

Honestly, the thing about Plex is once you start collecting, and watching your media, some time some where, someone is going to ask you about it. and the next thing you know you are going to be sharing parts of your library out to others. Then it's going to be sharing out to 10 or 12 others. Next thing you know half the neighborhood is using it.... I call this "Bragging to the Girls" (TM) syndrome....

Basically this means that sooner or later you're going to want/need more resolution and bit rate files....

The thing about the preset Optimizer's settings is, they are for a 4Mbps 1080p stream or a 1.5Mbps 720 stream, neither of which you can select with most of the clients. So I did custom setting for 4Mbps - 720 and 1.5 Mbps for 480. and it's been grinding away now for almost 4 days. I'm about 60% through the library...

These are custom settings, and sadly, have to be made for each optimizer session. I'm sure there is a way to keep them by editing a file someplace.... but Plex will update and you are going to lose the settings.... The best thing is, once you set up something for the entire library, anything new that gets dropped into the library will automatically be processed, just like with the conversion scripts.... The best thing is, everything is already Plex Ready after it's conversion into the Optimized format....
Jagstyles

Post by Jagstyles »

Hi Mike,

Sorry didn't respond sooner to this thread. Got so busy at work and have been playing catch up ever since. So is there something I can do in the settings to have Plex optimize all these MKV files so conversion is no longer necessary?

If so, are there specific steps you recommend I follow. If I can avoid converting the files altogether, I can then have CP/Deluge automatically add completed downloads to Plex media library folder - it would be a dream come true.

Please let me know if it can be done and what specific steps I should follow - as always, really appreciate all your support/help on this.

Thanks
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

The optimizer, even when set to original is not the same quality as doing the conversion via the scripts. There are artifacts during fast action scenes and some other issues, just as doing a live transcode would be....

I would continue to run the scripts, and fact I still do, until they give us the option to change some of the features with the optimize media when it comes to replacing the media completely. The way things are setting not, too... If you delete the original file, you lose the optimized versions too, so you would have to move the original optimized file into the base directory to even us it as a replacement...

For now, keep doing what you are doing... I'll let you know if they make changes so we can use it for a good quality conversion tool... :) Or you can make your own account on the Plex forums and follow along there, too.... :) I use almost the same handle on both forums....
Jagstyles

Post by Jagstyles »

Grea, thanks Mike. I've noticed recently that the script to convert the MKV files is no longer running automatically. I'm not sure if a recent update has broken it but I am able to manually launch the conversion script using PuTTy. Not sure what might be causing the issue. I'll register on Plex Forums as well.

Thanks!
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Check your cron file. Make sure there is still an entry there. If you upgraded to 2.5.2(whatever the broken one is) it may have deleted the entry there.

I know I was having problems with the lights not turning on/off for night mode, as others are reporting. I fixed mine by adding in the nightmode on line in the cron....

Return to “Plex”