Stuttering and buffering plays with 4K 10Bit Movies

Plex Media Center bridges the gap between your NAS and your home theater, doing so with a visually appealing user interface that provides instant access to your media.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

andy8
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Stuttering and buffering plays with 4K 10Bit Movies

Post by andy8 »

Hi,

I have recently setup an AS5304T device and have Plex setup. I have an active Plex pass subscription as well.

I am able to play 4k-10bit HDR movies well and have not had any issues with this.

However, each time I try enabling subtitle on those movies, I immediately get buffering (Circles),
very bad stuttering and basically the movies become not viewable at all.

I have done the following already:

1) Enabled 'Use hardware acceleration when available' inside Plex media server
2) Agent enabled for Plex as follows: Settings > Agents > Movies > Plex Movie, then click the gear icon next to the OpenSubtitles.org, and then had my logins applied from Opensubtitles.org.
Then, I re-arranged this to be the first choice in Movies and TV Shows (inside Agents)
3) Changed the Burn Subtitles setting to 'Only Image Formats', so that the device doesn't suffer doing transcoding

I still face the same issue though after carrying out above steps. None seem to have helped.
Not sure if I need to invest in some GPU enabled devices like this one to resolve this issue: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shield/

But does this mean AS5304T doesn't have the hardware capability to transcode subtitles on the fly for 4K-HDR movies ?
ImageFormats.JPG
ImageFormats.JPG (36.72 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (50.97 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (69.77 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
Hope someone with similar experience, and if you have resolved this, please let me know how you have solved this issue ?

Many thanks for any suggestions !
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - [16TB]
Nazar78

Re: Stuttering and buffering plays with 4K 10Bit Movies

Post by Nazar78 »

SRTs? You're better off asking in Plex forum. I no longer use it due to there's one time long ago they limited the bitrate that I can no longer do direct play for my 100+mbps media. Now using Jellyfin on my Samsung TV and everything seems good especially 4K h256 10bit with plain SRTs.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
BigErn

Post by BigErn »

I tried many different setups to try and get 4K 10-bit HDR with ATMOS sound working on the AS5304T but none of them worked until I just admitted defeat and got the NVIDIA shield pro. Works great with or without subtitles. You can turn them on and off on the fly with just a couple seconds of buffering before playback starts again. Using the ASUSTOR portal Plex app didn't work well at all. I tried several different versions of KODI with different builds and tried using the Plex plugin for KODI without success. Tried running the myHD Linux installation with versions of KODI and Plex Media Player and still had no luck. I wanted so badly to just be able to hook up the HDMI cable directly from the NAS to the processor and projector but it just doesn't work. Everyone else was right all along just get the Shield and all the Plex issues are solved. I use the AS5304T as the Plex server and the Shield Pro as the Plex client hooked up to the Processor/Receiver.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

The AS5304T is well capable of decoding 4K h256 10bit. It just boils down to the software support. In Linux Center modded with Ubuntu 22.04, aside playing from the TV via Jellyfin app, I can even playback the media over VNC on the VLC app without stuttering or frame drops and low CPU usage.

Also take a look at how well the NAS handles Shield GameStream play over H.265, absolutely playable without any noticeable latency lag at average 3ms. I've also tested playing competitive games such as Street Fighter 5 with two gamepads which input and screen refresh is equally vital. https://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=240&t=13001.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-08 075500.png
Screenshot 2022-07-08 075500.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 3479 times
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
andy8

Post by andy8 »

Thanks for all of the helpful responses, @Nazar78 and @BigErn

Is there any equivalent of Jellyfin app for LG TV ? I'm using an LG OLED at the moment.

Otherwise, it seems like I'll just have to grab the NVIDIA shield pro as described by @BigErn :)
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

In fact there is, similar to Samsung which I had to compile myself, you'll need to compile them for your TV too. I don't have a WebOS TV but it's quite simple to self compile with the instructions, only you'll have to prepare the environment and register the developer account. Try it, it's fun building apps for your TV. You can install npm in Windows or just use the docker build which you run directly from the NAS.

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-webos

Edited, if you need help and in case if I miss, open a new thread in the appropriate Jellyfin section then reply the link here.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

andy8

Post by andy8 »

Thanks @Nazar78, I will be compiling the app for my LG TV and resolve this :)

Return to “Plex”