Plex media server wont't pick up ANY of my files

Plex Media Center bridges the gap between your NAS and your home theater, doing so with a visually appealing user interface that provides instant access to your media.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

ddutoit777
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Plex media server wont't pick up ANY of my files

Post by ddutoit777 »

Hi,

I have the Asustor NAS T1002 device. I am running the Plex media server app as well as the Upnp media server version 2.

I suppose it is irrelevant but I have my TV hooked up to the same WIFI, which is an LG TV. The idea is to install the plex app on my tv and my computer (I have a macbook) and to make use of the plex features etc.

I have installed the plex app on my TV and despite directing it to the exact folder with my media on my Asustor device it doesn't pick up ANY of my media AT ALL. I installed the app on my macbook as well and it doesn't pick up any of my media despite directing it to the correct folders. My media files are definitely compatible.

Can anyone offer any advice or help?
MikeG.6.5

Re: Plex media server wont't pick up ANY of my files

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Let's make sure we are talking apples to apples. Plex is a Client/Server suite. It requires a server portion to "serve" the media to any client devices you may have either in your network or anywhere in the world. Next, it requires a Plex client app installed on any client devices you wish to watch your media on.
ddutoit777 wrote:Hi,

I have the Asustor NAS T1002 device. I am running the Plex media server app as well as the Upnp media server version 2.
So reading the first part of my reply to you, I am guessing that you have installed Plex Media Server on your NAS. and that you have followed the directions on Plex's site for how to create a library, and that the Plex Media Server's Web App is showing media present in the library. (The address to this would be something like https://your.nas.ip.here:32400) If you have NOT done any of these steps, well, it makes sense that PMS isn't finding your media, so therefore it can't serve media to your players.

Look here for more information on creating libraries: https://support.plex.tv/articles/200288 ... libraries/

On a side note, I'm sorry that you have the model you have. Of all of the current Asustor models, that one is the least capable device in the line-up. I've several recommendations I can make to you to make it work better, but some of those recommendations are going to strip some of the bells and whistles Plex has to offer.
ddutoit777 wrote:I suppose it is irrelevant but I have my TV hooked up to the same WIFI, which is an LG TV. The idea is to install the plex app on my tv and my computer (I have a macbook) and to make use of the plex features etc.
Actually how it's networked together isn't nearly as important as being able to access the Plex Web App on your network. (See the link I provided you above, make sure yo edit it for your own NAS IP.) If you can't access the Web App, then you aren't going to be able to make any libraries, so you won't be able to offer anything for your client devices to stream... (This is somewhat of a catch-22...)
ddutoit777 wrote:I have installed the plex app on my TV and despite directing it to the exact folder with my media on my Asustor device it doesn't pick up ANY of my media AT ALL. I installed the app on my macbook as well and it doesn't pick up any of my media despite directing it to the correct folders. My media files are definitely compatible.

Can anyone offer any advice or help?
The Plex App on your TV is the CLIENT side of the Client/Server suite. It's not going to get any media, if the SERVER side of the suite isn't providing the media for the client to stream. It literally sounds like you've only done part of the work needed, here...

The Plex Media Suite is NOT completely hands free. It requires you to do some basic administration tasks. And unless you do those tasks, well, things aren't going to work.

Check out the links in my signature. Some of them are from these forums, some are from Plex's own forums. I'm the author of all of them, one way or another... So I can usually help people figure out what's going on with Plex on the platform. Pay particular attention to the post where it talks about media preparation. You are going to have to do a fair amount of prep on your media with that particular device for a satisfactory experience. That particular model can NOT transcode in anything near real time. So you need to eliminate transcoding completely! (No options here. I'm not going to argue it with anyone about it either... You have a cell phone CPU trying to do the work of a full blown desktop computer... Be real!)

If you need more help than the links provided here, send me a PM. We can take a look at your situation and see if it requires a more hands-on approach from my end or not. (As in, do I need to Teamviewer in to help resolve issues.)

Return to “Plex”