Which update file do I need?

Plex Media Center bridges the gap between your NAS and your home theater, doing so with a visually appealing user interface that provides instant access to your media.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Saltrams
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Which update file do I need?

Post by Saltrams »

Good Morning Everyone. I have an ASUS 7004T (screenshot of system details attached) and have been running Plex largely successfully since I got the NAS (around 6 months ago). I know I have done a couple of manual updates, as well as using the AMD updater for Plex but now suddenly I can't manually update. I get an error message that the file isn't compatible so I wonder if I have just forgotten which .apk file to use? I was sure it was the 32 bit version but maybe I need the 64? I can't find anywhere where it specifies the architecture of the NAS CPU. My PC is 64bit but surely that isn't relevant because the Plex server is on the NAS? The updates that won't install are plexmediaserver_1.8.3.4235-2d20185b0_i386.apk and plexmediaserver_1.8.4.4249-3497d6779_i386.apk . I have downloaded plexmediaserver_1.9.0.4252-d07c1f408_i386.apk as well but not tried it. I also now notice that these 3 files all end with i386 whereas the previous files I used were plexmediaserver_1.5.6.3790-4613ce077_x86-64.apk and plexmediaserver_1.7.5.4035-313f93718_x86-64.apk that end in x86-64 which looks like rather a hefty clue but the problem is I am way too scared of the warning that says if you get it wrong the NAS will implode (or similar).
Last edited by Saltrams on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeG.6.5

Re: Which update file do I need?

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

You need the 64-bit version of the apk. The 32-bit is for the older 20x, 30x models. The CPU's in those models are 32-bit and can't take the 64-bit apps. And the 7004T is a 64-bit CPU and can't take the 32-bit apps. (I have a 7004T as well, and I'm even running the HW Transcoding version available to Plex Pass holders. It runs very well, even if it is an older version of Plex.)

HTH
Saltrams

Post by Saltrams »

MikeG.6.5 :-
Attachments
188374_original.jpg
188374_original.jpg (55.48 KiB) Viewed 7663 times
Saltrams

Post by Saltrams »

MikeG.6.5 wrote: I'm even running the HW Transcoding version available to Plex Pass holders. It runs very well, even if it is an older version of Plex.

HTH
I have a Plex Pass too; what advantages does your HW Transcoding version have?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

First let me give you one caveat. It will NOT work with HEVC codec also known as H265/X265. The CPU doesn't have the support built in for this, so you need to do the transcoding via scripts, apps or ffmpeg yourself to get it out of X265. You need to pay particular attention to this thread: (Also mine, BTW.)

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8652

In this thread I talk about how to enable HW Transcoding. I also give you a script that I use to check that the HW Transcoding required file is available. This is checked within 15 minutes of any reboot of the NAS. (Assuming you have the file called in your CHRON file.) The line in particular that is required for HW Transcoding is this one:

ln -s /dev/renderD128 /dev/dri

This line makes a symlink for the file renderD128 from its original location (/dev/) to the folder Plex requires it to be in (/dev/dri/). After this is linked the HW Transcoding will work on any live play sessions that require transcoding.

I saw an immediate decrease in CPU usage from the 360-400% a single transcode session required to just 20-25% of a single core. This means it's possible to have upwards of 10+ transcodes going at one time. (My math says 16+ but I tend to error conservatively.) Without HW Transcoding and just based on the performance stats of the CPU I would be hard pressed to do more than 2 transcode sessions at a time. I have physically tested this on as many as 5 streams at one time and it works fairly well. On very fast action scenes or high detailed scenes there is moderate pixilation, but that drops to nothing as the scenes slow down.

Yeah, I'm missing a few of the bells and whistles the newer versions have introduced, but I feel the HW Transcoding is well worth it.

Also, if you haven't already looked at any of the other Plex related threads I have out there, you may want to check out a couple in my signature. Specifically the Home Theater with Plex and the Auto-Converting scripts. (These scripts seem to choke on X265, so don't count on them to work on any files you have with this codec.) I also have a few other threads Plex related, such as PlexRequests: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8999, Ultimate PVR: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8272, Installing PlexPy: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7704

There are others, but these cover a good amount of information, and should get you up and running fairly easily.
Saltrams

Post by Saltrams »

Thank you for that very detailed help & info. Initially it looks a bit daunting but I'm not put off by learning new stuff. It just seems that I'm not going to benefit from the performance improvements you describe; I'm the only person using the NAS & Plex and I can only watch one film at a time. Maybe I should save my learning curve for something that can really improve my quality of entertainment. Any suggestions welcome!

Return to “Plex”