need VLC player

Currently XBMC can be used to play almost all of the popular audio and video formats around. It was designed for network playback allowing you to stream multimedia directly from your NAS via HDMI to any monitor or directly from the internet using practically any protocol available.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

osten4
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

need VLC player

Post by osten4 »

hey.

i have a AS-202TE. i want to play all my films from the NAS itself but the only program i can find that can do is XBMC.
im quite tired of all the problems with XBMC (stutter, subtitles changes size and place with every new movie playing, cant pause then u will have to report the movie, ETC)

is there any other player i can use to play via HDMI like with XBMC, or maybe make a VLC App ?.

ty.
mafredri

Re: need VLC player

Post by mafredri »

The problem is the NAS hardware, VLC would not work any better than XBMC. XBMC/Kodi is actually great software, the problems are not the fault of XBMC itself, it is the result of Asustor trying to get XBMC running on hardware that just isn't good enough.

XBMC will provide the best experience, unfortunately. What you can do is try to download videos that are more compatible with the hardware. E.g. avoid H.265 (HVEC) at all cast, avoid high quality audio (DTS, etc) and if it still doesn't work, pick 720p over 1080p.
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)
lanimul

Post by lanimul »

I bought a raspberry pi 2, running OSMC for kodi. Works great.
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

I got me a raspberry pi 2 as well, running xbian. Which is a relief over XBMC on the Asustor and over my ancient AC Ryan PlayOn HD ;)
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
osten4

Post by osten4 »

ok ty for the answers i was thinking about buying a rasberry pi aswell.. what about using upnp server or DLNA ? can the nas handle that without problems ?.. if that cant do it how bout WIDI?.

just a joke that u can buy a NAS with HDMI when it cant handle it well .. thats the reason i bought it in the first place :/
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

osten4 wrote:ok ty for the answers i was thinking about buying a rasberry pi aswell.. what about using upnp server or DLNA ? can the nas handle that without problems ?.. if that cant do it how bout WIDI?.

just a joke that u can buy a NAS with HDMI when it cant handle it well .. thats the reason i bought it in the first place :/
I gave up on the AS-6 for running XBMC and switched over to a Intel NUC DN2820FYKH. Been extremely happy with it, albeit more expensive than a rPI. Honestly how well UPNP or DLNA works depends on the device playing the files, it will not burden the NAS significantly (it only needs to send the files over the network).

I have no experience with WIDI, and actually the newer NAS models AS-5 and AS-7 don't really have any problems with XBMC since they have proper graphics drivers and it doesn't need a bunch of hacks and workarounds to work.
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)
osten4

Post by osten4 »

ok ty for the answers they really helped :)..

Return to “XBMC”