Shutdown and Restart take forever

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

restlessmindless
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Shutdown and Restart take forever

Post by restlessmindless »

Hi,
I am trying with a support ticket... for a month and still have the issue.
As you can see below, I requested to shutdown ar 10:51AM and it took until 12:45PM to happen.
The NAS is freshly installed with 2 non raid Ironwolf 8Tb. Nothing installed, only the Ironwolf app.

Any ideas of where to look?
tks

INFO 05/26/2020 AM 10:51 SYSTEM [System] System is restarting.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 10:52 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'iscsi' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 10:53 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'nfs' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 10:54 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'shareroutines' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 10:55 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'nslcd' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 10:56 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'rsyslogd' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 10:57 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'sys_modules' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 10:58 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'mergeconf' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 10:59 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'watchmand' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 11:00 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'crontab_check' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 11:01 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'emboardmand' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 11:02 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'httpredir' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 11:03 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'hostmand' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 11:04 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'ssh' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 11:05 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'lighttpd' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 11:06 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'crond' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 11:07 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'stormand' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 11:08 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'urandom' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 11:09 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'lcmd' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 11:10 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'netmand' service.
WARNING 05/26/2020 AM 11:11 SYSTEM [System] Wait time for response exceeded 60 seconds. Forced stop 'nasmand' service.
INFO 05/26/2020 PM 12:45 SYSTEM [System] System is going to sleep.
ilike2burnthing

Re: Shutdown and Restart take forever

Post by ilike2burnthing »

Tried a factory reset?

I take it there's no issue with the drives and ADM has been updated?
restlessmindless

Seems not related with the new update.
I did several factory resets and still trying to figure what is preventing services from shutdown... but luck so far...
Any ideas?
ilike2burnthing

So these are new disks that have nothing on them apart from ADM and the stock apps?

Are there any external USB devices connected?

Are any LAN devices making connections to the NAS (e.g. backups)?

Are you shutting down from ADM or hardware switch?

Have you tried disabling all apps, removing the ethernet cable, and then shutting down? Does that make any difference?
restlessmindless

good points ilike2burnthing.
New disks and nothing apart from ADM.
No external devices
No LAN devices making any connections.
Shutting/restarting down from ADM
No apps installed. Nothing to disable. I removed the LAN (because you asked) but the problem persists.
Need to dig deeper...
ilike2burnthing

*Quick disclaimer* Apologies if any of this seems simple, I have no way of knowing anyone's knowledgebase, so I try to frame things so that anyone could follow.

Basically I'm trying to work out if something is preventing/massively delaying the shutdown. Because if it's ADM or the NAS hardware, then you'd need to contact either the reseller or Asustor (which you've already tried seemingly).

So it's very doubtful the new clean drives are faulty, nothing on the network is creating an issue, and there's no extra apps to cause problems. ADM should come with some apps installed as stock. If you open App Central you can disable them by toggling the blue button underneath their icon.

You could also try the hardware power button. I doubt it will make a difference, so if it doesn't shutdown after say 10mins, just hold down the power button until it turns off (like putting a pillow over over its face).

Extra things you could try would be wiping the drives and starting from scratch; a fresh install of ADM rather than a reset. You could also try using just one disk, as well as changing which disk you use. Beyond that, I think it would have to be an issue with the NAS, so you'd have to look at an RMA, exchange, or refund.
restlessmindless

Hi ilike2burnthing,
I am under the impression that the problem comes from one of these:
1- some network misconfiguration (to which can only access via terminal. I've been doing some research and found some scripts linked to non-existent files. Not sure why, but considering I just did a factory restore, it should be a problem on the ADM.
2- driver incompatibility between the IronWolf 8TB. I will try to remove the disks, install another disk and do a factory reset.

Makes sense?
ilike2burnthing

I wouldn't have thought it was an issue with using the drives themselves, but it's definitely possible. Yea, trying a different drive definitely makes sense.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Something is locking your rootfs or other mounts for that matter. I encountered this once awhile while playing with some docker app that goes into zombie state but for your case that's lots of stuck system services. I could share some tips to make sure it reboots after a specified time say 1 min especially restarting remotely and getting stuck but that will come later as yours seems fresh.

Since you said there's nothing installed, let's rule out the harddisks. Run the disk scan for both drives then followed by a quick smart scan for both drives too see if there's any issue.

After reviewing the smart results, enable your terminal service from the portal, ssh as admin into the nas then switch to root, sudo su -. Run dmesg see if there's any hard issues reported, I'm not sure you can upload then link it here. Also open a separate ssh session, run tail -f /var/log/messages to monitor the logs.

Then try to restart again from the portal. If it gets stuck for like 5 mins, restart from the ssh terminal, reboot -nf. This will not sync, bypass rcK then hopefully reboot the NAS within seconds. Avoid pressing and holding the power button to forcefully restart, it's the last resort which could do harm to the disks (spinning platter + seeking head + power cut = catastrophe).

You should also try restarting with each individual harddisks to rule out each other. Open a new ssh season to continue looking at the dmesg and tail -f /var/log/messages for errors while it's restarting. If you know how to background processes or use tmux or lsof (show all open files/paths) would be useful.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “[Official] For AS-30X Series”