Heavy process load after update

rauhe
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Heavy process load after update

Post by rauhe »

After installing latest update to ADM (3.4.5.RBJ3) on AS-302T, my harddrives are going crazy using resources on processes called "ufraw-batch" and "convert". Does anybody know what these services do?
I have the apps: "Plex Media Server", "Java", "python" and something called "Ironwolf health manager" installed.

Thanks!
John
Attachments
2019_11_20_17_08_17_Window.png
2019_11_20_17_08_17_Window.png (61.14 KiB) Viewed 8017 times
gurgle

Re: Heavy process load after update

Post by gurgle »

I'm having the same issue with my AS1002T with the same 3.4.5.RBJ3 update, which got installed last night. I thought my drives were melting down this morning they are making so much noise. Rebooting didn't help, and after checking processes I'm on constant 50% load with 'convert' process. I don't have any apps installed, I just use the NAS for data storage. Hopefully there's a solution to this because the noise is driving me nuts - the NAS sits next to my desk where I work all day. The drives don't seem too stressed though, the temps are normal and the status is good, but I really want them to spin down and be quiet.
Jamono

Post by Jamono »

Same here . After upgrading I got 99% of cpu usage , uninstalling , stoping apps nothing helps .
JimFoster

Post by JimFoster »

Me too. Installed 3.4.5.RBJ3 this morning. I've got around 65% constant CPU usage of FFPmpeg and Convert etc. And the hard drives are under heavy load even though I've not using the NAS. This update is garbage. Also the Ironwolf app was installed. But I didn't install it and I have WD Red drives. I've turned off the NAS and await an urgent patch.
gurgle

Post by gurgle »

After a lot of searching, I think it's related to this line in the update's change log:

After upgrading to ADM 3.4.5, thumbnails will be reproduced for original image files, so CPU usage may increase temporarily.

It seems this has happened on other NAS systems besides Asustor, since Google searches have returned similar issues with a 'convert' process on other NAS drives. I do have a lot of image files on one of my drives, so I assume the 'convert' process is creating thumbnails. There should be a way to disable this, but I don't think there is. God knows how long this will take to finish. Thanks for forcing this crap on us Asustor.
whiter121

Post by whiter121 »

Looks like this appears to be a rebuild of the Thumbnails on the system. I have also seen the same thing and convert is creating smaller versions of jpgs and gifs it seems (Not able to verify as it shows the same file each time instead of the file it might be creating a thumbnail for). I also saw it starting to build thumbnails using the ffmpeg-mini program which is now using up most of the time on my system. I traced the parents to the watch_storage process. This seems to be the likely candidate for the issue with the CPU and RAM being close to 100% constantly.
wdrury_uk

Post by wdrury_uk »

Same issue here after install 3.4.5.RBJ3 tonight. Asustor 6204T now been running max CPU at 80-99% since update installed and rebooted. Why is this happening with no warning or response from Asustor.

Very disappointed no responses on the forum or support to explain from Asustor.

NAS is great but this lack of support will stop me buying another Asustor device in future.
gurgle

Post by gurgle »

After listening to my NAS drives churning away for a good 7 hours today, I got fed up with it. I enabled SSH on the NAS in Services, and connected to it from my Windows work laptop using Putty, and logged in as root. I killed some processes:
killall thumbnail
killall -9 watch_storage

The NAS is now back to it's quiet self again, and I can still access my drives on the network. For those of you with some basic Linux skills, maybe this will help you. I'm not a linux expert, but know enough to be dangerous. Not sure if killing watch_storage will cause any issues with other apps, but since i just use the NAS as data storage (and I can still access my drives), this solution seems to work for me, at least for now. I'll have to rekill these processes every time I reboot the NAS, but for now I can live with that.
orion

Post by orion »

Same here. I sent a support ticket to asustor. If you can send a ticket too, we should be able to get a formal solution faster.
gurgle

Post by gurgle »

They're not going to release a solution, because the system is acting exactly as they want it to. I submitted a ticket this morning, and below is the response I got. Apparently they think it's OK to hijack a persons NAS and hard drives all day long, adding wear and unnecessary stress on our drives to create a bunch of thumbnails that nobody asked for, with no easy way to disable the process, for use with some unknown feature coming in the future that nobody wants. I guess it's time to build my own Liinux bsed NAS, and dump my Asustor into the garbage.

Thank you for contacting us.

Sorry for the inconvenience, due to the revamping format for the thumbnails for new features coming in the future. After upgrading to ADM 3.4.5, thumbnails will be reproduced for original image files, so CPU usage may increase temporarily.

Return to “[Official] For AS-30X Series”